1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What a CA?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Rosieett, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Rosieett

Rosieett New commenter

If I were to resign before the formal stage of competency, could it be mentioned on my CV? Is there a law one way or the other?

2. Rosieett

Rosieett New commenter

If I were to resign before the formal stage of competency, could it be mentioned on my CV? Is there a law one way or the other?

3. TheHappyArnold

TheHappyArnold New commenter

I took a CA before it got that far and the informal stage cannot be mentioned and is not on my record.

4. reg1950

reg1950 New commenter

What is it you are referring to Rosieett? Your title refers to CA but your post to CV. You can write what you like in your own CV. Do mean what can be put in a reference? If so HappyArnolds reply is misleading because in general there is no law that says informal capability cannot be mentioned. It certainly could be, it may also depend what question your current school is asked. There is law about references and it says basically that references must be true, fair and accurate and must not give an unfair or misleading impression overall. So eg if asked whether they ever had any concerns about your competence your school cannot say they didn't if they did. Compromise Agreements often have an agreed reference included but even an agreed reference has to meet the legal requirement of being true, fair and accurate and not giving an unfair or misleading impression overall.

5. TheHappyArnold

TheHappyArnold New commenter

My CA states that the head can only refer to the contents of the reference and any discussions must be 'in the spirit' of the reference which obviously contains no mention of the capability and is both positive and true in what it states. From the information I was given by HR, there will not be any mention of capability, and to do so would be in breach of my CA.

6. reg1950

reg1950 New commenter

My comments to Rosieett about the law were about the general legal position not if there is a CA. However it doesn't matter what your CA says the general law of the land that references must be true, fair and accurate and must not give an unfair or misleading impression overall takes precedence. So if your head is asked if there were any concerns about your capability they cannot answer no if that isn't true - and how could it be true if you were in informal capability? They can answer 'yes', or if your CA says thay can't say that, they can refuse to answer the question. And the person asking for the reference will draw their own conclusions from that.

7. Be careful when you resign as if it's at any other of the 3 times a year when teachers leave, future employers will guess it's a CA. I once left a school at Easter a few years ago under normal circumstances but because Easter was v early that year, i've since had schools question whether this was a CA!

8. Compromise agreement

9. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Wow, this thread has just made me realise something!
    About 6 years ago, I left my job (which I'd been in for two years, NQT and my 2nd year) in order to go travelling for a while. I didn't know how long I was going for and didn't want to be tied to coming back for work in September. Also, I hate the school - it was an absolutely nightmare and the HOD and her covern were awful.
    At interview for a maternity cover post in November (when I'd returned from travelling) I was asked to come back into the interview room after the panel had done some deliberating to answer another question about why I'd left my last job without a job to go to. I realise now that they must have been worried about competancy and a CA.
    It didn't occur to me at the time, and hasn't until now. I assumed they were concerned that I was flaky and uncommitted.
    Soryr to divert the thread - just a lightbulb moment for me!

10. I know!!! CAs are meant to protect teachers who have them but actually they also just make those who haven't look suspicious!

11. reg1950

reg1950 New commenter

That's not the purpose of a CA - if anything they protect schools more than teachers. Unions mislead you into thinking a CA is some sort of clean break but as many recent posts here demonstrate that isn't so and new employers are all too likely to think that a CA means the teacher is 'guilty' of something, 'no smoke without fire'. It will only get worse when the new PM rules start in September and schools giving references have to say whether there have been an competency proceedings if asked, even if the CA says they can't. Any part of a CA that says that will be invalid from September.

12. Vampyria

Vampyria New commenter

While not wishing to divert the thread either (apologies OP) I have to say Eva I know exactly what you mean. Through reading posts on here, I've had many 'moments' like this myself. In my case it served to make me realise how a) culpable was last school was b) how inept the union was.