1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wha does half pay actually mean?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by sabby81, Mar 8, 2012.

1. sabby81

sabby81 New commenter

I was wondering the same...and does the £128 approx go on top of this?? I just worked out (making up whole numbers here to make it easier) assuming £2000 a month normal salary after tax/NI/pension etc - 2000 * 12 = 24000. 24000 / 52 weeks = £461 a week at full pay; £415 at 90% pay; £230 at 50% pay. Just figured that this way, any extra few pennies will be a welcome bonus :)

2. If only I earned that much! I will be on m5 and have the low tlr worth about £2600 I think. Just not sure how they calculate 50% pay and how tax and ni play a part in this calculation? Obviously I'm hoping that with the £135 weekly smp I won't be that much worse off!

3. sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah New commenter

I was on M5 when i had my son 2 years ago. When i was on 50% i took home around £900 a month

4. I've read this several times on here but can never find formal communication to support it to pass on to my HR/finance. As when I asked them about it they weren't convinced that this was feasible.... If anyone could post link I would be much appreciative... sorry to the OP for taking over your original post/question x

5. I don't know where to find it formally as it was HR that told me. A few friends who have done it made sure I knew about it. Not sure if you can claim for two children once the second one is born; if so, it doubles SMP - roughly £500 SMP and £500 childcare vouchers!

6. Thanks for this Jessie Daisy - very useful. Had to think about the 90% and 50% and then realised you type in 0.9 and 0.5 respectively as if you were part time. When you drop to half pay, i think you can then add approx £500pm as it is half pay plus SMP.

7. Thanks so much everyone for answering, means I can plan effectively now. I've never even heard of childcare vouchers as I was studying when I had my first so the mother looked after baby. I shall do a bit of research into these!

8. Extremely helpful information. I am now aware what I will take homw whilst on maternity leave.

Thank you.

9. Can't remember who mentioned it, but you only get one lot a childcare vouchers, however many children you have.