1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

We've missed something along the line...why shouldn't Maths be hard?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by oakapple, Mar 2, 2012.

1. I'm a "maths is hard" believer. Why do we try to pretend otherwise?
    Reading is hard.
    And if you want to succeed you have to really work at it! (or many do!) That means listening, asking questions, working through the mistakes, applying it to different situations and sometimes practising to make it more fluent.
    What a surprised!

2. DM

DM New commenter

3. Funny article.
    I do have issues that the pure side of mathematics is in many ways apart from what many think of mathematics. That part being arithmetic.
    We keep getting mixed up in society between mathematics and solely arithmetic. Arithmetic is a part of the larger subject of mathematics, but overall a small part. Yes, we can argue that mathematics is the study of the abstract nature of arithmetc, but has become larger taking into account calculus, statistics, etc.

4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

and the term Geometry disappearded for years, now it seems trensy once more, so accurate drawing is a good skill to learn.

5. teselectronic

teselectronic New commenter

No, but you need to know 100% to teach it correctly!

6. I remember reading that ALL humans have two innate skills regardless of race or gender. The ability to learn languages (up to 7 is apparently saturation point) and the ability to learn, and understand, mathematics. I don't know how true this is and anecdotally I've seen too many pupils struggle to agree with Thule, but apparently it's true.