1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

We've had the call, what do you think for this numeracy and literacy plan

Discussion in 'Primary' started by eggles, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Year 6
    I will teach numeracy first. The numeracy objective is to improve mental calculations for addition and subtraction. I am using a dart board to do this. I have designed an activity using checkout totals. The chn have to achieve the total by using three darts max and last dart needs to be a double or bulls eye. Tasks are differentiated.
    The chn will be familiar with a dart board at this point therefore in literacy I intend to show the show a set of instructions i've wrote to explain how to play darts. The chn from this will create their own set of success criteria. Their task is to design their own dart board game and write their own set of instructions with a partner. The success will depend on how well they have incorporated the success criteria into their instructions and how well another pair can play their game.
    What do you think?
    Too easy for year 6?

2. The maths lesson sounds great. Is the literacy a little dull?
    We have just had HMI, they were way more interested in talking to the kids about their learning than our links between subjects. Obviously I am in Scotland so there may be differences.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would say the maths lesson sounds a bit worksheet based and so not very 'get up and go'. Maybe have a, possibly unrelated, super duper exciting starter and plenary, so as to cater for lots of learning types?

Literacy sounds good, but my class would spend hours planning their game and not get onto the writing at all. Your class might be different.

4. Worksheet based?? There are no work sheets in sight. The chn can use their maths books to jot if they decide to.
    Such as?
    I agree with you there, my class might spend a lot of time planning their own game. How about I give them instructions to a game, they can then play it, then they have to write the instructions.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I apologise, I just assumed this would be questions on a sheet.

Hmmm but if you have given them the instructions they won't be creating their own?

6. I'm only a dozy NQT supply so feel free to ignore what I say!
    I like linking Maths and Literacy. You know, you're hitting all those boxes about contextualising learning, cross-curricular skills. I do wonder how the task is differentiated? I mean, I get that it's self-differentiating because they're using their own success criteria. But how are they going to be paired? Or do they have English places where they're sat next to someone of the same ability? I use darts boards for Maths, too - they're genius and really easy to differentiate. But I've taught Y5 instructional texts before and we had most boring few English lessons EVER on writing these stupid, boring instructions for this stupid, boring website! Wish I'd thought of having them design a game! Maybe you could say it doesn't have to be a darts game - just design a board game with a challenge on each spot. Although, then, I suppose, they'd need time to think up this entirely new game and it's not about the darts, then. Maybe you could use modelling instructions for darts as whole-class input and then come up with S.C. for writing instructions for playing a game and then they are free to design something different. Or maybe I'd just give that to the higher-achievers and let the weaker writers stick with darts, so they're supported by knowing the game and don't have to waste time racking their brains for a new idea. Hmmm ramble ramble!

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

write their own success critrea?..i alwys thought its what the teacher did
    At year 6 they should be more than capable of writing thier own instructions
    Show them a video of dart playing.ask the questions, who does what , how do they add etc
    Let then decide a set of instructions the order and write these .choosing their system...up grading the outcome.
    Use your own success criterea to share with the children and level these so they want to go for the higher ones
    You might also find a different area to wrte instructions...literacy doesn't thave to follow maths

8. When I was training, everyone was falling over themselves about child-generated success criteria. It's supposed to give them responsibility for and ownership over their work, etc., and make self-assessment more meaningful...

9. oldsomeman

Tell me how long do they spend doing that than actually working?.along wiht walt and othe such stuff we want them to do before they even start a piece of work.....does it work i wonder as im my limited experience of 30 years teaching we never needed one to judge achievement or indeed asked them to take time doing one.except, insomuch, as you asked them to evaluate what they had s done.
    A critea is what is expected of success levels and attainments....surely most kids would do this in term of 'I made' and 'this is what i found'.We are the ones who set the standards and so tell them the levels to success we want them to aim for , with appropraite feedback and praise?

10. I don't wish to ramble too far off topic, but I always generate the success criteria with the children. In literacy, we unpick a successful piece of writing, for example, and then compile a list of the successful features/points to include, etc. for our own writing.
    Same in maths, when success criteria are needed. Here's a successful line graph - what makes it successful? We then make a list of things to include in our own line graphs: our success criteria.

11. oldsomeman

Ah well yes i then understand this concept......but the person on her was not doing it that way i think...yes if you do that i concede the point... however this does work only over time and spending time before any writing /maths start under their own steam....i would be putting these on the board and using them as a class list of successes, but not for them to spend time writting them up in to their book!

12. All right, sheesh, I'm just saying that it's the 'in' thing at the moment - I didn't invent it! (I do think it's good, though - as Elizabeth says, you can correct a weak example to generate success criteria or decide 'What Makes a Good _____?' and there's the criteria - so it isn't just. 'Write a poem' or 'Make a model'.) Also, you're not meant to be using WALT and WILF anymore! [​IMG]

13. They kids aren't meant to be writing them - you discuss them as a class. And I scribe as they talk onto the IWB so they're there all lesson for the chn. to refer to.

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Why not? Who says so?

15. My PGCE teachers... [​IMG] This thread is getting me into trouble!

16. I agree - no writing up in books required. I'd print the list for the working wall, or write it on flip-chart sized paper in the first place, and then print off little copies for books at the end of writing / constructing the line graph (for example) for children to tick off their successful elements. Not every lesson, though!

17. oldsomeman

you try telling the school not to write them....most schools still have them....well the ones who belive in the method lol
    Im not against children setting their own targets, they need that in later life to adjudge their own ability at an area! Just so much of lesson time is wasted writing targets........

18. Shirley Clarke, for one: the researcher whose Gillingham study gave rise to the horrible creatures in the first place. [​IMG]

19. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ohhh well if Shirley Clarke says so....

Naaaa sod it, they work well for me and my class so we'll carry on!

20. blue_gini

blue_gini New commenter

Hi,
    Does the instructional writing have to link to darts/ games? Last year, I saw a post on here about linking writing to an animation called Hoverbike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2mOOHpDOU . All chn loved watching it, then writing a set of instructions about how to operate the hoverbike as it clearly didn't come with any. It also shows the real-life importance of having a set of instructions.
    The animation was also good for writing a letter of complaint to the company that manufactured the hoverbike or writing a speech given by the company to try to persuade people to buy their product- lots of possibilities...radio ad for it? Boys were really engaged.