1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wet weather-on mass-sportshall activiy ideas

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by Halif28, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Halif28

Halif28 New commenter

Hi

Looking for more ideas for wet weather on mass activities for when tripling up in a sportshall (limited facilities). Currently we do benchball and dodge all but would like some fresh ideas or adaptations. Sometimes we have up to 70students in one sportshall. Any ideas would be great.

2. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Google "Captain's Coming Game" (My security system blocks me for some reason)

Meant to be for younger ones but my gr12s demand to play at least once a year

3. welshwales

welshwales Occasional commenter

Ball skill/fitness circuits work well, with groups of 4, 2 doing and 2 counting at each station... get some laminated cards done that you can use time and again. Do one round for 1 min and 2nd round for 2 mins or vice versa...I make sure its limited equipment, eg Slalom runs around cones, SAQ ladders, shuttle sprints, star jumps, speed bounces across a line, that type of thing- you can leave it set up all day then....

4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

I can't remember what it's called - inside out? - Cones set out as a cross

Students in small teams (4/5) line up behind a set of cones and you issue instructions for them to follow. So you can set speeds 1- walk, 2-jog, 3-run, 4-hop. Calling out 1 Inside means they walk to the inside cone matching their colour go around it and back. Outside means they have to cross in the middle and you can add in extra things like they have to high five or pass a ball without crashing into each other. Clockwise they all rotate around. And so on, adding in as many rules as you want. You can make it a competition (e.g. losing point for coliding with someone).

5. cymruchick8

cymruchick8 New commenter

We played multi sports - split into two teams sat on benches against the wall from the centre circle out (one team in bibs) - use a football, indoor hockey sticks, basketball and a netball. Have the football goals at each end and the basketball hoops down. You shout a number e.g. 5 and the first 5 pupils on the bench run and touch the football goals on their side and into the centre and the teacher throws either the football, hockeyball, basketball or netball in to the middle (if its the hockeyball they go and collect a unihock stick from their bench) Its then the first team to score - football and hockey in goals, netball and basketball in nets - using correct rules for each sport. Once scored they then sit down at the end of the bench and pass the ball back. Pupils will have moved down the bench to the centre - Teacher then calls another number and throws aother ball in. Continue play and all pupils will get a go and play different sports and its quite fast moving.

bridgetpilley likes this.