1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Westfield Academy - what ever happened to ethics and morals?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by binaryhex, Sep 29, 2018.

1. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

2. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

What you've got to remember is that it's precisely people like his that end up as SLT, because the ones who care want to stay in the classroom and educate.

3. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

Because they're worth it. Only fools and horses work.
    Bet they vote Tory.

stonerose, JL48, -Maximilian- and 5 others like this.
  4. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

How do they live with themselves?

Very comfortably with lots of perks along the way.

5. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

what ever happened to ethics and morals?

Didn't Thatcher abolish all that nonsense? Greed is good.

6. install

install Star commenter

Wasn't there an article recently about some Ofsted types getting questionable bonuses of 10,000 pounds? :rolleyes:

stonerose and Mrsmumbles like this.
  7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Chuck them in prison.

That would focus some minds.

This has to stop and we need to get these ***** out of our schools.

schoolsout4summer and stonerose like this.
  8. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

How do you go about reporting these abuses?

My ex trust school ran up enormous debts and employed friends of the director with zero teaching qualifications, and in one case, appointed a deputy head with only GCSEs to his name.

I am sure there is lots of this going on, but I'd like to do my bit to expose abuses.

9. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

Who would you report it to? The system has been set up to allow this to happen.

10. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

I think you can only report them to the press. The Guardian has been running these stories for a while but it is mainly preaching to the knowledgeable and converted. The BBC is becoming more interested which gets a bigger audience. If you could get the DM or Telegraph to run a story it might finally get some Tory voters to question what's happening to tax payers' money.

Hard to do if you are still working for the academy in question - whistle-blowing is a risky business.

11. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Westfield Academy - what ever happened to ethics and morals?

They've been academized.

The definition of academize according to Shedman's educational dictionary:

ACADEMIZE - To asset strip public educational institutions by paying the CEOs and members of the leadership teams extortionate salaries, awarding non-tendered contracts at above the market rate to members of the CEO's family or friends and incurring excessive expenditure on foreign visits, meals and entertainment.

12. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Would anything be done anyway?

stonerose likes this.
  13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Well, clearly someone did something on this occasion:

The investigation, triggered by anonymous allegations received in August and September 2017, found issues including misuse of school funds and assets, non-compliance with procurement, abuse of position and lack of transparency surrounding financial information.

stonerose likes this.
  14. crocked

crocked New commenter

The problem with this kind of statement is that it continues to build up an us vs them mentality that's not at all helpful. There are a large number of staff in SLT's that are dedicated and trying to make a positive difference just as there are many that are the type of person you describe.

Lucy2711 likes this.
  15. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Crocked, the problem is that the the type I describe are a substantial majority.

16. crocked

crocked New commenter

I guess it's all about your own experiences. It hasn't been in my experience despite meeting a number of numpties in SLT teams. Perhaps it's a better situation in primary settings compared to secondaries.

Lucy2711 likes this.
  17. Scintillant

"misuse of school funds and assets, non-compliance with procurement, abuse of position and lack of transparency surrounding financial information."

I cannot for the life of me see why this does not result in criminal charges.

If you take a packet of crisps from a shop without paying you can be prosecuted. I fail to see why taking money off the public in such ways is any different.

18. Scintillant

Of course. However, the way things are has allowed the wrong sort of person to proliferate and it's becoming a very serious issue. Lots of expensive, experienced staff have been managed out and SLTs have become top heavy with under experienced generally notably younger managers who are not teaching anywhere near enough while teachers have necessarily become younger (and cheaper) but are unable to cope with the workload and manage the pupils. The result is a perfect storm of recruitment and retention issues and too many people turning blind eyes to financial mismanagement

19. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

Trouble is you're up against the ed. establishment's equivalent of the three wise monkeys, with no job security when you are hung out to dry.

20. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

Excellent advice.