1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Western Australian graduate teacher trying to get QTS in London

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by nickye89, Jun 17, 2015.

  1. I graduated ECU in 2012, and had 0.2FTE in a Perth school for the 2013 year, where I completed one of the four graduate modules. Because I didn't get work in 2014, I decided to move to London to pursue a career in education, where I've been for 7 months now.

    I left Perth as a provisionally registered teacher with the TRBWA, but wasn't aware that I wouldn't just be able to teach over here as a qualified teacher. Does anyone know how I'd be able to go about getting QTS (or NQT?!) here? I'm confused by the acronyms and don't want to end up stuck, unable to teach either in the UK or Australia as my registration with TRBWA has now expired (before I reached fully registered status).

    Thanks in advance.
  2. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

    If you were fully registered in Australia then it would be easy for you to get QTS (qualified teacher status). Teachers in England need QTS in order to do their NQT (newly qualified teacher) when they finish their teacher training at uni.

    I don't think you can/will get QTS in England if you are not fully registered in Australia.

    You can work as an unqualified teacher or in independent (private, fee paying schools), in some academies and free schools ( the last 2 don't have to employ qualified teachers though many do).

Share This Page