1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

West Dunbartonshire Strike

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by subman68, Dec 2, 2015.

1. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

What do you think? to little to late or the start of a teacher fight back on pay and conditions?

Schools not replacing DHTs. Just split up the remit to the remaining staff and let them work till they drop. Lets have crazy faculties with sometimes 3 or 4 subjects. Again the FH get a bit more money but to do the job properly would need to work 60+ hrs a week. Work until you drop/burn out. and for good measure can you work till you are 68 please.

So do you think teachers will fight back, the EIS bottled it on the pay rise, are they all talk and no bite.

http://news.stv.tv/west-central/133...ike-over-plans-to-replace-principal-teachers/

2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Good luck to them.
    I'm sure a compromise will be reached where only a 69-hour working week is agreed.

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'm not one to criticise colleagues for taking actions to protect their rights but reading the article, is this not the same that has already happened in other authorities?

4. AnEilean

AnEilean New commenter

This is exactly what has happened in other LA's where was the fight then?! Its all a money saving exercise, I can confirm that a Faculty Job has an unrealistic remit that can never be achieved without giving your soul, health & sanity especially when you have a few subjects that aren't your own. Small schools are worst hit, there are some schools with 5 subjects grouped together, its insane!

5. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

Always up for a strike, me, particularly over the insane workload.

6. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

I'm amazed they think they'll have the support of classroom teachers for this, given how most will perceive the effect it has on them personally as very small (if anything). If they do then I'd love to know what EIS are doing in that authority to inspire such collegiality when in the rest of the country most of us can barely be bothered to vote on our own pay and conditions.