1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Were there any indications that your labour was starting?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by chicabonita, Jan 31, 2011.

1. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

I know you might get a show, or your waters can break; I know about the increased BH contractions and so on; but I was wondering whether you had any indicators other than those on the day you went into labour? Did you wake up feeling normal?
    I'm just getting a bit desperate I suppose! I've had some period-type pains on a few days, I've had days of no appetite/nausea and days of feeling very hungry; and I've slept hours and hours versus feeling full of energy. I've even done baking/tidying/cleaning stuff (!) and last week was sure the baby was on its way.
    Anyway, all stories welcome and interesting... :)

2. chicabonita

I know you might get a show, or your waters can break; I know about the increased BH contractions and so on; but I was wondering whether you had any indicators other than those on the day you went into labour? Did you wake up feeling normal?
    I'm just getting a bit desperate I suppose! I've had some period-type pains on a few days, I've had days of no appetite/nausea and days of feeling very hungry; and I've slept hours and hours versus feeling full of energy. I've even done baking/tidying/cleaning stuff (!) and last week was sure the baby was on its way.
    Anyway, all stories welcome and interesting... :)

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

When I was 40+9 a bit of the mucous plug came away, but only a small bit, so I wasn't sure if it was the start of anything, and I had a bit of a dodgy stomach, but just assumed that was from walking about and drinking coffee! Then my waters broke that evening, so that was slightly more obvious! Before that i'd had absolutely no indications at all. I was due to be induced the next day, so was just preparing myself for that, so I only just avoided it. Even then, I didn't get any contractions until the next morning.
    I'm pregnant with my 2nd now and wondering how this labour will start, although it's still 13 weeks away!

4. goonergirl2009

goonergirl2009 New commenter

I had no signs at all until my contractions started! No plug, no show, no BH- nothing!
    x

5. I had a massive hormonal emotional meltdown the day before I went into labour. I had been relatively calm up until that day.... The neighbour happened to say something about 'panic stations' when the baby was on its way and I got in the house and started screaming about 'I hate that nosy cow, how dare she tell me how I will feel, can't she keep her nose out.... blah blah' with hysterical tears and 'You don't know how hard it is being pregnant!' etc.

I also found I was far less breathless- someone told me in Morrisons that my bump was so low she thought I was in danger of going into labour there and then.
    No other signs really until some mighty strong contractions 5 mins or so apart.

6. Perhaps there is hope after all then!!

7. chicabonita

My midwife said I had the 'look' of someone about to go into labour, though she didn't elaborate on what that meant! However that was on Thursday and I'm still here...
    Baby is very heavy today, and bump is lower than it was over the last few days...
    fingers crossed!

8. What a brilliant statement - sounds very scientific. I have the look of a person with a cold. Perhaps that means I won't go into labour until that goes! Who knows!!??

9. chicabonita

[​IMG]
    (Not your cold- thumbs down to that.)

10. For me it was terrible sickness and diarrhea [sp?]. I had a sweep and lost my plug. I was niggling a bit through the day but it wasn't uncomfortable and wasn't convinced anything was happening.. Went to bed at 9, woke at 2 and was sick as a dog [think sitting on the loo with a bin!] It was awful, I couldn't keep water down, thought I had caught a bug etc etc. Then my water broke at 8am and I was fine apart from contracting every 3 mins.
    Best of luck!