1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

We're paying -why won't you teach our son?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by David Getling, Jun 4, 2018.

1. gainly

gainly Star commenter

One of the most difficult students I've had was a girl at one of the country's top grammar schools both of whose parents were hospital consultants. I'd previously taught her brother (who had been diagnosed with Asperger's) and never had any problems with him.

2. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

While living abroad, I had a friend who was tutoring mainly late afternoons and evenings. One parent absolutely insisted on 9am sessions (for a 7 year old) but never ever made it (and didn't pay). As the country concerned is well known for not being good at early starts by anyone, I told my friend she should insist on anyone booking early sessions should charge double and in advance. No more early bookings for her!

3. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Most of my tutees are either from the Jewish or Sri Lankan community, a few white English but very rarely indeed.

4. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

I've just finished tutoring a nice appreciate Sri Lankan girl. Bright, hard working, and I got a little present at Christmas, and when she finished last week. I was recommended to her by her Chinese friend, who had had me recommended by her Chinese friend. And all three attended one of the best state schools in the country.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  5. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

And that’s it in a nutshell, really, isn’t it?!

6. humbug

humbug New commenter

I find this all so hard too, and I hate bad manners. I've had a real mixture of students this year, including one who has gone too far today, cancelling at the last minute, when I had already discussed making a possible change last week if it would work better on her sports day. This term I asked her to choose a day and stick to it, and made her pay in advance. But she has still tried to rearrange most weeks.

It's so hard to know though. I teach on a Sunday morning, 9 till 12, and have had some amazingly reliable and dedicated students. But then there are others who I never know where I am with. I've told one or two that I can't teach them any more as it has been too stressful and time consuming, dealing with too many changes and cancellations.