1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

We're Going on a Bear Hunt....

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by fredhaise, Sep 21, 2020.

1. fredhaise

fredhaise New commenter

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

There is a We're Going on a Lion Hunt book, which is similar in format to the Bear Hunt story.
    I have both in my classroom.

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

There are several versions, eg going on a dragon hunt, going on a leaf hunt, all variations on the original.

4. Wilbur_Post

Wilbur_Post New commenter

Which is the original!? And the 'variations' of which you speak... would plagerism not be more accurate?

5. PGCE_tutor

PGCE_tutor New commenter

Not so. Michael Rosen has never claimed to be the author;

"The story seems to have been a folk song that circulated around American summer camps, sometimes with a lion instead of a bear. I heard it first in the late 1970s and started to put it into my one-man poetry show. The editor of Walker Books, David Lloyd, saw me perform it and said it would make a great book. I said that he should write it down. He said I should. I said that he should. He said that I should. So I did."

From;
    https://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/nov/05/how-we-made-bear-hunt

muso2 and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  6. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

'Going on a Bear Hunt' - when we want children to grow up to love and respect wildlife? Hmmm Do you think this is a fun poem?

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Nope I don't think it is 'fun' but it is an excellent story/poem and teaches children an awful lot.
    The characters aren't bear hunting with shotguns to steal the fur to make a coat! :rolleyes: