1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

We're going on a bear hunt - Literacy for Reception

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sheila786, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Hi

I've just found out that I have an interview on Thursday and have been asked to plan a 20 minute Literacy session based on a story book of my choice (for a group of 6 mixed ability reception pupils).

I have chosen 'We're going on a bear hunt' as I absolutely love this book and am hoping the children will be familiar with it already.

Wanted to ask if anyone has any ideas on what I could do that will engage all children?? all ideas welcome!!

One idea I have is to spend some time reading the book encouraging children to join in with sound effects and movements. This could lead to having a hot seat with a bear puppet. where children can pretend to be the bear taking questions from others. So basically recreating the role and experiences; talking about feelings.

I did think about sequencing and recreating the story but don't see that working smoothly in only 20 minutes?!

Another idea I had was to have speech bubbles for the bear, where children can write something that they think the bear would say to the family if he had caught up with them?

I'm not a qualified teacher! (just thought I would clear that up!) but am currently working as a cover teacher since leaving university, and will be starting my PGCE in sept! would really appreciate help as I really really want a new challenge and this job is exactly what I'm looking for so am looking to impress (hopefully)!

Thank you!! :)

2. Hi

I've just found out that I have an interview on Thursday and have been asked to plan a 20 minute Literacy session based on a story book of my choice (for a group of 6 mixed ability reception pupils).

I have chosen 'We're going on a bear hunt' as I absolutely love this book and am hoping the children will be familiar with it already.

Wanted to ask if anyone has any ideas on what I could do that will engage all children?? all ideas welcome!!

One idea I have is to spend some time reading the book encouraging children to join in with sound effects and movements. This could lead to having a hot seat with a bear puppet. where children can pretend to be the bear taking questions from others. So basically recreating the role and experiences; talking about feelings.

I did think about sequencing and recreating the story but don't see that working smoothly in only 20 minutes?!

Another idea I had was to have speech bubbles for the bear, where children can write something that they think the bear would say to the family if he had caught up with them?

I'm not a qualified teacher! (just thought I would clear that up!) but am currently working as a cover teacher since leaving university, and will be starting my PGCE in sept! would really appreciate help as I really really want a new challenge and this job is exactly what I'm looking for so am looking to impress (hopefully)!

Thank you!! :)

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Do you have access to the outdoors? I would read the story then go on a bear hunt outside if possible, otherwise indoors - you could even find a teddy. I realise this might be difficult in an unfamiliar environment but I would definitely make it active rather than sequencing pictures. Act it out on the spot possibly.
    I think the hot-seating might be difficult if you don't know the children - Reception children can say some pretty random things in this situation, although I would do it with my own class.

4. Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately I wont have access to the outdoors and you are probably right about the hot seat idea, think I was just expecting too much!

I might just get them to retell the story using actions and role play.

Hopefully that will be interactive enough! 20 mins is just so short!