1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Were England robbed of a win?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I never had a chance to listen to the latest test match, but it's been the weirdest one I've read about. Two massive first innings totals, then on the last day, it ends with bad light bringing the players off, 25 runs short of an impressive England victory and more than enough wickets to do it with.

How can they have bad light in these days of floodlit pitches?

2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

They're using eco bulbs now aren't they, less light coming from the floods.

3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

they didn't polish their haloes?

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I would say no but I might be accused of being an ungrateful urchin.

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It's Pakistan v England in the UAE. Or Dubai. WhereBloodyEVER. Even I don't care. And I'll go to Barbados to see England lose to the W Indies in 3 days.

A waste of lives.

6. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

It's amazing what pressure does. It turned the Pakistani batsmen into rabbits on the flattest pitch in the world. Then the English batsmen, with more than enough overs to get the runs, kept chucking away their wickets.

A fair result, I reckon.

7. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Would say it is more the game has been robbed of its original fair play, be a gentleman image.

The Pakistan bowlers slowed down their steps between bowling to waste time, their players said they could not see the ball practically as soon as the players changed to bat and kept on and on about this.

They should have played the game at its correct speed and just let the umpires call it. Indeed, had they done this, they may (may) have won. The game was more about fear of losing than entertaining the people and just going for it.

Not in any way saying England would have done it differently had they been bowling, just highlighting how awful and negative. the game has become.

8. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Isn't that done in most sports as the clock runs down? It's up to the umpires to intervene if they think the rules are being broken.

Is there any moral difference between it and a bowling side quickening their steps to get a few extra overs in?

9. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

You never get 'bad light' on a 20/20 game so why the difference in 'real' cricket anyway?

Unfortunately the weather is also a player in some sports. It could have started raining heavily!

10. grumpydogwoman

[​IMG]

Gutted not to have been there.

11. maurice-r

maurice-r Established commenter

Is Abu Dhabi to cricket what Qatar is to football?

12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Knock em out to draw.

13. mark6243

mark6243 Occasional commenter

It's only Wales, Scotland or Ireland that can be 'robbed'. Different logic applies to England than that of the oppressed Celtic peoples. Despite us subsidising their economies and paying for their hospitals and schools.

Never heard of 'anyone but England'?; often spoken in the same breath as 'why aren't you also supporting Wales/Ireland/Scotland?'...

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Ireland weren't robbed. I can admit and accept the truth. It's only England who can never get what they deserve by virtue of being English.

15. mark6243

Read a great deal of Anglophobic **** over the last few weeks, to be told it's 'just banter', swiftly followed by 'you're supporting the Boks?! Traitor!'

I support the Celtic nations every bit they support mine.

But, interestingly, some comments I've read, directed at England, where if you removed the word England and replaced with Pakistan/Nigeria/Jamaica, the post would not just be removed but the author possibly investigated under racial hatred laws.

But, as I know, it's one rule for one...isn't that right, racroesus?

16. grumpydogwoman

You're right, @mark6243 but we did trample the globe in size 12s for centuries so it's kinda fair that we get payback.

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Well, now that we have moved on from 'It's really England and the UK is only about whinging groups' to sporting supporters I would say that I was a supporter of England in cricket and football, Olympics, rugby and so on if the opposition wasn't Ireland in rugby and cricket or Northern Ireland for football.
    However, England got rid of the Home Nations, England and France wanted away from the Six Nations, England supported the reduction in teams for Cricket World Cups and England wanted us to compete under Team GB rather than Team UK.
    But then, you paid for it all so you deserve compliance and servitude.

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

That's better. If we meet on the terraces at Lansdowne or Ravenhill we will be able to exchange good-natured banter.

19. mark6243

Your mind is gone. You make no sense. o_O