1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

were do i start always wanted to be a special needs classroom assistant

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by bexdapinklady, Jul 28, 2011.

1. I have five years experience working with a variety of care organisations from elderly care, learning and physical disabilities and challenging behaviour service users. i can demonstrate excellent communacation methods and skills including Maketon signing. i have a NVQ level 3 in health and social care. my prevoius job was working with elderly as a assessment officer/ field worker. the company lost the contract and we were t.u.p.e over to a diffrent provider. my job role changed to a care co-ordinator i was willing to learn and to develop new skills but didnt find myself settling in to this role. so me and the manager came up with a matural dissision.that the job wasnt right for me so i left and now i want to do the job ive always dreamed of doing. but just need a bit of guidance and supported in the right direction
    plz can someone advice me. thank you
    becky

2. I have five years experience working with a variety of care organisations from elderly care, learning and physical disabilities and challenging behaviour service users. i can demonstrate excellent communacation methods and skills including Maketon signing. i have a NVQ level 3 in health and social care. my prevoius job was working with elderly as a assessment officer/ field worker. the company lost the contract and we were t.u.p.e over to a diffrent provider. my job role changed to a care co-ordinator i was willing to learn and to develop new skills but didnt find myself settling in to this role. so me and the manager came up with a matural dissision.that the job wasnt right for me so i left and now i want to do the job ive always dreamed of doing. but just need a bit of guidance and supported in the right direction
    plz can someone advice me. thank you
    becky

3. Another vote for volunteering. Write to local schools with your CV and situation and ask for volunteer work. Many schools love taking on volunteers. That's how I got started - voluneteered as a learning support assistant, then after a few months a job came up and I got it. There can be a delay before you start though because of CRB checks and whatnot, so be warned.

As it's the summer holiday now you could also contact your local council, or volunteering organisations. I know when I was looking for voluntary work I was put in touch with a woman who worked for the council arranging summer schools, play schemes, and in-school volunteering. There could be something similar you could get started in over the summer maybe whilst waiting for school classroom work.

Best of luck!