1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

We're all going on a summer holiday: Staff Wellbeing Question

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Aidoo2020, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Aidoo2020

Aidoo2020 New commenter

As I get the opportunity to work with KS4 students and secondary school staff teams, I have realised that many of my colleagues who are middle and senior leaders have plans to work through some of the summer hols.

Please tell me this is rare or are you aware of colleagues that are due to be fairly active during the holidays. As my wife was a teacher for 7 years I have first-hand experience of knowing that if anyone needs the summer holidays it is teachers.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts

2. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Working pretty much straight through. Not rare.

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I had 10 days off last summer. ( 4 of those days were weekend days) Normal

4. Corvuscorax

The only times in mmy career wen I have had a summer holiday are when I have been between schools.

5. Corvuscorax

In fact, now I come to think off it, changing schools every summer might actually be the best thng in many ways, not least becasue you could get a break every year

ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  6. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

We went away every summer whilst I was working (except the year my wife was expecting in August, and a couple of years when we were moving house). Holiday lengths were from two to four weeks out of the 6 or so. Occasionally I took some work with me (usually reading for new A Level courses etc), and I certainly did some before we went/after we got back.

ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  7. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

As a teacher I took 5/6 weeks. As a middle leader, 4/6 weeks and as a senior leader now 3/6 weeks. And you have to dip in as well. Decisions need to be made, emergencies present themselves, guidance can change mid holidays requiring emergency work - it’s a hard toil being SLT. Not as 'hard' as full time teaching, but hard in other ways.

agathamorse and Morninglover like this.
  8. JJ83

JJ83 New commenter

I had 4 out of 5 weeks off or 5 out of 6 depending on how the holidays fell

agathamorse likes this.
  9. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I would spend either the first week working, or the last week, depending on how I felt. I enjoyed a good break from school for 5 out of the 6 weeks.

agathamorse likes this.