1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

We're All Dooomed !!! part n

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by madcat, Apr 2, 2012.

1. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

BBC News Michael Gove wants universities to create new A-levels
    Formal control of A-level content will now be taken away from exam boards and handed to universities
    Exam boards will still set the courses but a school will now only be
    advised to put its students in for it if the course has been <u>approved by
    a Russell Group university</u>.

2. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

BBC News Michael Gove wants universities to create new A-levels
    Formal control of A-level content will now be taken away from exam boards and handed to universities
    Exam boards will still set the courses but a school will now only be
    advised to put its students in for it if the course has been <u>approved by
    a Russell Group university</u>.

3. dg63

dg63 New commenter

Because everyone who does A 'levels is suitable for a place at a Russell Group university.

4. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

Looks like we'll all be getting our A-Levels from the University of South Numptishire to maintain our results, then...
    (While universities are cutting back. Genius...)

5. This seems like a fairly sensible move to me. The whole point of A Levels was to prepare students for studying at University. There are plenty of other level 3 qualifications designed to prepare students for employment. My only concern is that these alternative courses are being systematically undermined by Gove at KS4, so schools are unlikely to offer them, resulting in a lack of continuity as pupils progress to KS5.

It looks like the usual trio of Maths, English and Science are due to be hit first, so it'll be our current year 8s for which the ICT and Computing A Levels will need to be 'approved' by the Russell group. Given the Russell group's report a year to two ago, ICT will have to be seriously overhauled as an A Level subject if it's going to pass their requirements.

6. About time! If it means less input from exam boards, then it gets my vote. However, having ofqual oversee the whole process is a baaaad mistake. It's like putting Ed Balls in charge of comedy at the BBC.

7. SageDerby

SageDerby New commenter

I teach AQA Computing. When this syllabus was being rolled out we were told at one meeting that "the syllabus creators" had asked the Computer Science departments at a number of Russell group universities what they wanted on the syllabus and so they helped design it.
    Probably explains why the pass rates for AQA Computing haven't been going up and up like other subjects - in fact the pass rates for both the A-level and AS went down last year. Mind you if my students are typical - it's probably more down to the calibre of student now taking the course.