1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

We're all back in September

Discussion in 'Personal' started by WB, Jun 19, 2020.

1. WB

WB Lead commenter

2. WB

WB Lead commenter

I'm fairly OK with this. It had to happen at some point. It's won't be ideal but what is?

But I'm primary. There is so much more movement around a secondary school. What do secondary teachers feel?

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I really hope it happens. Obviously it has to be safe, but I really hope it is.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Fine by me... then we can put this foolishness behind us and get on with getting the economy back up and running.

boatie, T34, Jonntyboy and 6 others like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Me too - but the only way it can happen is if the distancing rules are dropped.

6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

If there is no second wave by then, I think it has to happen and it's the right thing to do. I know we have to be safe, but I'm not enjoying this bubble set up and can't wait to get back to normal!

Jonntyboy and needabreak like this.
  7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Onwards and upwards - good news

8. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

I’m assuming it will be classes of 30+ as normal from September. However, even that needs some serious planning for. Lots of decisions on how to pick up from where they left off etc. whilst I want to see schools back as near to normal, I would like to see Ofsted told to stay in their cave and SATs dropped for the following summer. Let teachers do what has been so missed - face to face contact and engagement with pupils. A chance to be creative, redress the balance and not ground down by pointless paperwork and stupid initiatives.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We've been back for a week - I felt from Day 1 that we could have had more kids in - all this online stuff isn't working now.

10. Symingtons

Symingtons New commenter

Presumably that means no 2 metres social distancing then....

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

This, without the foolishness bit, and I'm also concerned about everyone's mental health. Kids and families and everyone else in the country. I can't wait to get back to normal.

7eleven likes this.
  12. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

We were going to have an oven ready brexit deal. We were going to have brexit agreements done and dusted multiple times

We were going to have a world beating track and trace app ready for May, no wait, June, no wait..

We were going to have primary schools back before summer

And now schools are going back in September. Maybe this will be the one they get right.

SummerSkies, LiamD, Laphroig and 2 others like this.
  13. jeswes

jeswes New commenter

My 3 year old has been back in a private nursery since the beginning of June. They wash their hands a lot and stay in a bubble with the children in their room but essentially there is no social distancing because they are three. The staff have to touch them when involved in personal care (babies are back not just 3 year olds) the difference between the nursery and school is the nursery had to go back to survive as we fund it. I genuinely think more school children could have gone back too as the risk is low. I think the benefits far outweigh the risk at this stage.

boatie and alex_teccy like this.
  14. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I don't think more children should be going back now or before the summer break.

I do think that if things carry on as they are, i.e. cases and deaths continue to fall, it is likely that the government will argue that social-distancing will no longer be necessary by September, both in schools and in the wider community.

Let's hope they're right.

15. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Whaddya mean All?

16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'll be interested to see what the guidelines will be on getting visitors into school, and whether or not primary children will be able to work in groups around their usual tables. Until then I'm going to keep working on an alternative means of doing what I do, but any step in the direction of normality (if safe) is fine by me because normality is the easiest option. Whatever the eventual timing of things I plan to have all possibilities covered by September.

17. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Won't happen.

18. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

How many lives has "this foolishness saved"? And what do you thing another round of the virus will do to the economy?

The only thing foolish is your post. But it's 2020 I guess and you know much more than the world's experts on the subject.

19. WB

WB Lead commenter

You riding the pension pony?

20. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Oh Schint, come on you aren't any more sure things won't be OK in September than the Government, no one has a crystal ball but we can't stay away forever... surely it's a good compromise, for now anyway.

If nothing else it gives us hope in pretty hopeless times. I don't want that taken away.