1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Went out for a meal and drinks tonight

Discussion in 'Personal' started by littlejackhorner, Jul 4, 2020.

1. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

I had initially been feeling apprehensive about going out tonight but my husband really wanted to. We went to our local restaurant and nearby pub and it was fine. No queues and tables well spaced out. Hand gel at entrance and exit points, table service only and we had to provide our contact details. The police were patrolling the bars but there was nothing for them to deal with. It was very civilised- far more so than our local Aldi where social distancing seems to be completely forgotten once through the entrance door.
    Maybe it is different in the city centres but it definitely hasn't put me off going out again.

2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Good!!

So pleased it was a success for you both.:)

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Wait a few days for confirmation....

hhhh likes this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

I wouldn’t go out to restaurants or pubs just yet - too soon imho.

5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I'd love the chance, but the local friends I normally go out with are all shielding and haven't even been shopping yet.

6. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

We went mext door for a meal tonight. It was very quiet and felt safe. Public transport? That's another question, and we don't drive.

7. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

Hubby and I went to a garden centre cafe for coffee and cake yesterday morning. Everything was being done really well and it was lovely to feel more 'normal' again. I can't wait to meet a friend in a similar fashion. What I don't understand though is how we have to fill in our details, phone numbers, date and time of visit etc for track and trace. Surely if we're all social distancing in such places even if someone reported they had the virus we wouldn't need to self isolate for 14 days?

8. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

How are toilets kept safe from infection? Are they really being cleaned after each use? (Flushes, taps, door handles etc).

9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Taxis and mini-cabs are running, and many drivers are desperate for business as most are self-employed and have therefore not received any government money until very recently (although I gather their work is starting to pick up again as lockdown is eased).

10. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Round my way, this is exactly how it would have been yesterday!

[​IMG]

agathamorse and Bedlam3 like this.
  11. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

They were cleaned regularly whilst I was there but obviously not after every person.
    If I need to use a public toilet then I make sure I use common sense. Wash my hands thoroughly and have tissue ready in case I need to touch anything afterwards with my clean hands such as a door handle.
    I can understand that many people feel that things have been opened too soon but this virus is here to stay with us for quite some time and we have to find a way of living our lives alongside protecting ourselves as much as possible.

12. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I imagine the biggest risk would be from the table service if a waiter tested positive, although even if they go from table to table, they're unlikely to spend more than a few minutes at each.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I'm not at all sure I'd be comfortable with going out just yet, although tbh I've never been 'pubby'. A coffee and cake with a friend, maybe, somewhere down the line, but I don't see us going to a pub for some time yet.
    However, if you feel OK, then I'm glad you had a good time. It's just not for me right now.

14. susanrk

That's what I thought so if one of them did test positive we haven't been within 2 metres of them for more than 15 minutes so wouldn't be contacted to self isolate for 14 days?

agathamorse likes this.
  15. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

We went to the local garden centre looking for dahlias for my dad. Their under cover (gazebo) cafe was open and virtually empty so we stopped and had tea and scone. It was really nice, but it was on the edge of what I'm happy to do.

Pubs, meals, not yet, a few more weeks perhaps.

Lalad and mothorchid like this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I haven't even been for a take-away since lock down.

mothorchid likes this.
  17. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Our village garden centre has just reopened their lovely cafe. They've taken out half the tables and put up handmade wooden dividers, and put lots of tables spread out outside with rain covers over them. I wasn't planning to eat out anywhere for ages but it looks so nice on the video they've made that my two coffee mates and I are going to go for coffee in a couple of weeks. I really want to support them, as we needed a decent cafe for years, and now that we've finally had one for a couple of years I really don't want to lose it. We have to start somewhere and it send an good a place as any.

Something that spoils the idea of going out for me is not being able to be spontaneous about it. So many places expect your to book, not unreasonably, but if you're out for the day you don't want to be tied to a time or place. But I have to arrange it with my friends anyway if we're meeting up, so that doesn't really make any difference.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

We had a pizza delivery back in May, just for a change, but Mrs G objects to paying more than a pittance for what she describes as Italian cheese on toast.

19. susanrk

We certainly didn't have to book for the garden centre cafe.

20. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I haven't been able to find out whether you are under a legal obligation to give pubs that information. I don't trust these places with my personal data and will give them a false name and address if I go out.