1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Welsh second language - Year 1

Discussion in 'Cymru - education news' started by VikkiWilliams, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Hi everyone!
    I'm just wondering if you can all help me at all please....
    I'm a Year 1 teacher (started my first job this September) in a school in North Wales. All lessons are taught through the medium of English but we teach 2 x 30 minute sessions of Welsh every day.
    None of my children are Welsh first language and there is little motivation in them when we do our Welsh. We cover a topic each week e.g. weather, feelings.
    I'm just wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation and can offer me some activities that I could do to make my sessions lively, hands on and fun for the kids. There is little support out there in terms of ideas for Welsh Second Language (I can't find much anyway) so any ideas for activities would be great.
    Thank you,
    Vikki

2. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

An hour a day? I've left primary and now work in a special school so am out of touch but that seems an awful lot - how do you fit everything else in? Do you have access to any iPads? Last week my class made Welsh feelings iBooks - took a photo of themselves showing that feeling, wrote a sentence e.g. dw i'n hapus and then recorded themselves saying it. They loved it and were really keen to share their books with each other. Sorry, only a little idea - I only do 1 session a week and find that hard enough!

3. Hi, I teach in Reception and we have been following the Fflic a Fflac series. We watch the short programme x4 days a week and try to incorporate the activities/ language patterns throughout the day. The children love it and are being immersed in Welsh across the curriculum not just in discreet lessons.

http://www.fflicafflac.com