1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Welsh Second Language Lesson in Y6

Discussion in 'Cymru - education news' started by Waterfin, Jun 26, 2011.

1. I've taught Welsh second language to year 5's for a few years. Our county recommended scheme has them giving personal detail, discussing likes and dislikes (hobbies/food), practising vocab for asking for things in a shop, discussing holidays in the past tense and describing people.
    When doing out describing unit we recapped words for descriptions, asked and answered the questions "Oes ganddo fo...?" "Oes ganddi hi...?" "Mae ganddo fo..." "Mae ganddi hi..." etc.
    My kids particularly liked reinforcing using the language by playing a class version of Pwy ydy pwy where the Helpwr heddiw was asked the questions by the class and answered. The children all had to listen and if they did not match the attribute being identified by the question then they were eliminated.
    See the NGFL for some resources made by Denbigh schools I think that have a couple of matching programmes that have cartoon pics and sentences that match in them
    They also liked using their mini whiteboards to draw a face according to my (or one of the children's) descriptions and always had a giggle when they compared the results after.
    Getting some writing in would be a good extension.
    There are some differentiated sheets available for drawing and writing descriptions on Primary Resources (in the Welsh page, Description pictures by Beccy Fox)

2. Oh, and they also liked being given pictures of famous Welsh personalities that they then wrote descriptions of...I always modelled one first and built one from their suggestions first. People like Duffy and Gethin, for example.

3. Thanks for this, very helpful.

I really like the idea of describing Welsh personalities I'll give it a go

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Ganddo fo etc. is still used in North Wales but most of Wales inc. Powys use 'Gyda'. Where is your interview?

5. Ahhh, thank you I was about to ask this. I'll be Cardiff so will I use 'mae gyda fi, gyda fe, gyda hi ' etc

Thanks for all the help so far