1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Welsh second language in schools - Get rid of it as an exam subject!

Discussion in 'Cymru - education news' started by llanman, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Just had a discussion with my daughter about Welsh Second Language teaching - how much she hates it - how little she has learned and so on......... Then it came to me in a flash - how to make students more interested and enthused about the Welsh language. Simple really - get rid of Welsh examinations. This will free teachers up from the tyranny of having to teach the WJEC Welsh Second Language curriculum. In this brave new world there would still be welsh lessons but no exams and no assessment. It would then be up to the teachers to create learning opportunities which would really engage learners in the language and the culture of Wales. Is there any support out there for this radical plan? The Welsh government is giving 400 grand over 4 years to improve welsh second language achievement levels and as yet they have not said exactly how the money is going to be invested. If it is invested in inset courses to help welsh teachers to improve their grades in WJEC Welsh second language it will not be a success and our young people will be let down.

2. Just had a discussion with my daughter about Welsh Second Language teaching - how much she hates it - how little she has learned and so on......... Then it came to me in a flash - how to make students more interested and enthused about the Welsh language. Simple really - get rid of Welsh examinations. This will free teachers up from the tyranny of having to teach the WJEC Welsh Second Language curriculum. In this brave new world there would still be welsh lessons but no exams and no assessment. It would then be up to the teachers to create learning opportunities which would really engage learners in the language and the culture of Wales. Is there any support out there for this radical plan? The Welsh government is giving 400 grand over 4 years to improve welsh second language achievement levels and as yet they have not said exactly how the money is going to be invested. If it is invested in inset courses to help welsh teachers to improve their grades in WJEC Welsh second language it will not be a success and our young people will be let down.

3. So, I'm guessing that she's in a mixed-ability short course class? Trust me, those classes aren't easy to teach, and with most learners in those classes not really wanting to be in school or study any subject at all, it's no wonder she hasn't learnt anything (though in reality, this won't be the case).
    Her negative experiences cannot be the basis to change the structure or even get rid of it; what about learners who opt to take it at full course? Does she also hate compulsory RE, Maths, English, and Science (because it's normally the compulsory subjects that learners don't enjoy)?

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I loved Welsh lessons. They were much enhanced in my school by being a member of the Urdd and all that came with that from going to Llangranog to competing in eisteddfod. I would hate to see the abolishment of the examination.

5. Is it just because your own daughter isn't interested?[​IMG]

6. Hi llanman,
    There are alternatives, such as QCF Languages in Welsh at Level 2 which have GCSE equivalence and are now being taken up by schools across Wales as an alternative to the WJEC's GCSE in Welsh as a Second Language.

See this link for more details - pupil engagement with this qualification is extremely good.
    Contact us should you require more info.
    Thanks
    OCR Cymru