1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

welsh second language curriculum

Discussion in 'Cymru - education news' started by greta444, Feb 6, 2011.

1. greta444

greta444 New commenter

A stupid question.. Is it right that there's just one curriculum for Welsh now? Are Welsh learners expected to get the same levels as welsh first language children?
    This seems very unfair to me. What are your thoughts?

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

A stupid question.. Is it right that there's just one curriculum for Welsh now? Are Welsh learners expected to get the same levels as welsh first language children?
    This seems very unfair to me. What are your thoughts?

3. pibydd

pibydd New commenter

The English, Welsh and Second Language Welsh curriculum Documents are written in such a way that they are directly comparable to one another. Check out the documents on The WAG site to see how this works.
    A level 5 in English and Welsh is directly comparable, a level 5 in Second Language Welsh is more similar in its requirements to an MFL 5 (my opinion here but hopefully you get the point.)

4. I would disagree with you on this point. L5 in Welsh second language is more challenging than MFL L5, as the levels are set on the (naive) assumption that primary schools uniformly follow the national curriculum specifications for KS1-2. It would be ludicrous to expect a child who is *supposed* to have been taught Welsh consistently as a second language since nursery to only be able to equal the progress made in a MFL where they have had much less contact with the language, and over a much shorter time frame.

This is a source of frequent complaints from parents and pupils alike - "why is he only getting this in Welsh when he's getting that in French and he's only been doing it for three years" is a complaint I often have to deal with.

Now that pupils have to be levelled in Welsh at the end of KS2, this should start to slowly resolve the situation. However we then have the issue that the weighting of the skills changes between KS2 and KS3, which again can cause issues as it can make a child look like their levels are decreasing