1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Welsh board D/C help!

Discussion in 'English' started by penguin8336, Jan 20, 2011.

1. penguin8336

penguin8336 New commenter

I've not taught English for several years as I've been doing other subjects in school. I'm doing it this year again. This week my school have rearranged things and - because I'm a good teacher, they say - I am losing my A/B group and picking up a group of Y11 disaffected boys who have already failed their Lang exam twice (i.e. less than C).
    What I'm hoping for is ideas or resources to help me reach these boys and secure C grades - for their future and for mine!
    Can anyone help me!?
    Thanks

2. penguin8336

penguin8336 New commenter

I've not taught English for several years as I've been doing other subjects in school. I'm doing it this year again. This week my school have rearranged things and - because I'm a good teacher, they say - I am losing my A/B group and picking up a group of Y11 disaffected boys who have already failed their Lang exam twice (i.e. less than C).
    What I'm hoping for is ideas or resources to help me reach these boys and secure C grades - for their future and for mine!
    Can anyone help me!?
    Thanks

3. Hi Penguin

Sorry this isn't an offer of resources (yet!) I'm in a similar position as I'm about to start tutoring D/C pupils. I'm new to WJEC too. I'm trying to put together some stuff just now and I would also welcome any ideas from the good people on this forum! If I develop anything fab I'll happily share it :)

4. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

Hi, not got resources for you but ideas on how to manage your group. Send letter to parents telling them you are giving their child an opportunity to resit their GCSE, it will be hard work and ask for their support. As you are getting a new group I would start first lesson with them going through what you expect from them - commitment, motivation and focus; and what you will give them - focused coursework lessons to improve folders and exam skills to prepare, and if they follow all this a C grade! But emphasise that you will not have any messing about!
    If you are putting them in for May exam folders have to be ready for April ? (can't remember date) Look at their folders and what work in them is at now, then improve it. Redo folders, move marks up by better pieces. Look at speaking and listening folders and get these marks moved up, prepare them well, give variety of interesting and topical tasks so they are not disinterested. Once folders ready start on exam skills. Do a different section of the exam papers, so paper 1, section A until they have secured it, then section B and so on. If necessary ask for work to be finished at home. If work not handed in then ring parents immediately.

Don't do lots of long writing tasks but short focused paragraphs that you can mark and comment on. Give effective feedback as a whole class and individual. Show them how they are progressing. Give lots of encouragement praise.

Hope this is useful.

5. Hello,
    If you missed the WJEC GCSE English CPD in the Autumn term, all of the resources from those meetings are available on the WJEC secure website in the CPD folder. You will need a user account to access the secure website, which your exams officer can create for you. Let me know if you have any difficulties kirsten.wilcock@wjec.co.uk
    Good luck,
    Kirsten Wilcock