1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Welsh BAC

Discussion in 'Cymru - education news' started by onewelshlad, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Hello

Is there anyone out there who could give me some advice on the Welsh BAC, please?
    Thanks

2. Hello

Is there anyone out there who could give me some advice on the Welsh BAC, please?
    Thanks

3. Hi Welshlad!
    What specific advice do u need about the Welsh Bac?
    If I don't know the answer, I know someone who will.
    Best wishes
    Collegelecturer

4. I've heard the comment that "it's Key Skills under another name" and also " we only do it because it brings funding"
    Any comments? Is it worth anything at all? What do employers / universities outside Wales REALLY think of it - do they see it just as another "2nd class" qualification.

5. Many LEAs have made the Welsh Bac compulsory at KS4 and 5 now, initially because it drew in a lot of additional funding. What happens when the funding dries up in 2012 remains to be seen.

There are 6 key skills to fulfill plus work related education, team enterprise, community participation, language module, an individual investigation (based on Wales, Europe and the World) and then there are your GCE and GCSE grades to consider.

It is slowly gaining some recognition but I think the elite universities are paying it no attention

6. pibydd

pibydd New commenter

So why when I go to my children's school do they tell me that the Year 11 Bac is worth 4 GCSEs and the Year 13 Bac is worth two A-levels, that it is recognised by universities in Wales and England and that UCAC (? is that right) have a full time officer making sure it is counted as a qualification by said universities?
    My children are both slogging through the bac and if it really isn't worth anything I'll be tempted to pull them out tomorrow and let them concentrate on their accademic studies. That'll make me popular again!

7. I was in one of the pilot schools when the Welsh Bac came out in 2005, at the time it seemed like a lot of work on top of A levels. We got accrediation for things we were already doing outside of school like community participation, work experience etc. Also did key skills communication, numeracy etc (which were bypassed as I had over a B in Maths GCSE and was doing A level English). Basicaly it's another qualification although pupils these days are using the "equivalent of an 'A' at A level" too widely for my liking, it isn't in the same league as other subjects A levels.
    When asked in interviews about it I basically just say we did practical activities and gained the qualification from these things. Can't say that having done it has widened my job opportunities or anything!!

8. The Welsh BAC is not worth the paper it is written on for higher ability students. They need as much time as possible for their academic subjects and don't need the BAC as a hinderance.
    However, I can see the benefits for the middle to lower ability students. It certainly develops their basic skills and provides them with points that can be used towards a University place. It is therefore better as an option rather than a compulsory qualification.