1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Welly walk - ideas

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by twinnie, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Hiya,

Want to pick your brains!! I take my reception class on a welly walk every Wednesday. We're all really enjoying it, but I need some more ideas. Recently they've collected a leaf for printing and then the following week collected different coloured leaves to discuss autumn and we did some sorting. Want them to have a focus when we're out as well as enjoying being outside.

Anyone got any fab ideas??

Thank you XXX

2. Hiya,

Want to pick your brains!! I take my reception class on a welly walk every Wednesday. We're all really enjoying it, but I need some more ideas. Recently they've collected a leaf for printing and then the following week collected different coloured leaves to discuss autumn and we did some sorting. Want them to have a focus when we're out as well as enjoying being outside.

Anyone got any fab ideas??

Thank you XXX

3. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

When I was working in EYs, I too would have looked for a focus.

Now i would concentrate more on observing the pleasure they got in playing freely. That and how how rhey learned from traditional games such as snakes and laddwra.

Gsr25 likes this.
  4. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Ladders. Sorry.

5. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

Collect natural objects, different leaves, twigs, feathers, pebbles and take them back to school and make pictures on ground and get children to photograph them then others can have a go making a different pattern/picture using same materials. We made pictures inside a hoop and worked in pairs.
    Other ideas: bark rubbing, rubbings on man made surfaces such as drain covers etc, take out streamers with you and look for wind direction, look for what is blowing. I don't know where you are walking but if in woody area can you build a den, collect twigs and make pictures in the wood, have a listening walk- stop several times and listen, what sounds can they hear, what sounds can they make, crunch leaves, splash in puddle noise. If walking along pavement and roads look for shapes- windows, doors, manholes etc. or have a number hunt.

6. MissMistoffelees

MissMistoffelees New commenter

Lovely ideas above but the original post is from 11 years ago!

Kartoshka likes this.
  7. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

Didn't notice that! But it might help someone else anyway

8. lizdot

lizdot New commenter

Yes May2, good ideas, thanks for posting.