1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Well, that's it.....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cosmos, Feb 18, 2011.

1. ....last day of work yesterday and now officially retired! Brilliant send off, lots of tears - not all mine - nice speeches and pressies. We went to the pub last night where there were more tears and pressies and quite a lot of wine so I am feeling a little quiet this morning.
    No regrets - I will miss the people ( will still see many of them), but I will not miss the job or the college. FE has changed so much since I started teaching that it was no longer the place or the job that I loved. I am going to take a few weeks to wind down and adjust and then think about what to do with my time. Mr C being more supportive now which is good so no pressure to find anything else, if indeed that is what I want to do.
    I've got a holiday to look forward to and it's in term time too - it's going to be all good.

2. ....last day of work yesterday and now officially retired! Brilliant send off, lots of tears - not all mine - nice speeches and pressies. We went to the pub last night where there were more tears and pressies and quite a lot of wine so I am feeling a little quiet this morning.
    No regrets - I will miss the people ( will still see many of them), but I will not miss the job or the college. FE has changed so much since I started teaching that it was no longer the place or the job that I loved. I am going to take a few weeks to wind down and adjust and then think about what to do with my time. Mr C being more supportive now which is good so no pressure to find anything else, if indeed that is what I want to do.
    I've got a holiday to look forward to and it's in term time too - it's going to be all good.

3. Happy retirement Cosmos. I hope it's an enjoyable and fulfilling time.

4. All the best, Cosmos...and hugs from me and wee scabs.... We're heading off tomorrow, so won't be around for a few days......... but dug will be looking for killer cat next week............. xxx

5. Thank you both, and wee scab. It won't really hit until half term is over I suppose but in the meantime I am going to have coffee with a friend this morning - at 11! On a Friday!! Before that I shall walk the dog in daylight........
    Annie - all the best for the next few days, I know it will be hard and hope that your OH will be okay too. Killer will wait - she'll be happy tormenting the scruffy mutt meanwhile.

6. Thanks Cosmos....wee scabs took it upon myself to reply to you too.....but he's being pre-moderated, so his best wishes will turn up here at some later point........some totally heartless comment about him hoping Killer Cat is retiring too?! .xx

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

All the very best. The world is your oyster - well, within limits. Have a lovely rest then start to create the new you. [​IMG]

8. Happy retirement Cosmos!! I finished in 2008 to look after my sister. It is a wonderful relief and I have never missed being in school !!

Enjoy your holiday!

9. Congratulations!
    A job well left!

10. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Wishing you a very happy retirement, cosmos. The next installment of your life starts now and boy is it going to be great!! x

11. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Happy retirement Cosmos - wishing you many happy years of doing just whatever you want to do!

12. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Indeed congratulations. I am looking forward to when i can jump ship from FE, as it is now going rapidly downhill. My College is closing sites, and courses, both affecting me. Happy retirement, mine seems to be getting further away.

13. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

All the best Comos, have a well earned rest x

14. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Well done, Cosmos! xxx

15. That calls for a cake.
    [​IMG]

16. Oh chocolatebox, what a beautiful cake. Gather round everyone and dig in, I'll just nip off and get the bubbly.......
    [​IMG]
    here's to us all - thank you so much for your kind wishes.
    C xxx

17. Oh good news Cosmos! CONGRATULATIONS! [​IMG]
    Lovely send off too! [​IMG]
    (I didn't have a send off like that when I finished, because I'd gone out on health grounds....so I didn't get closure. Although the Secretary of State for Education wrote to thank me and wish me all the best for a happy retirement - Ruth Kelly at the time - my LA didn't thank me for my years of effort - which was a bit of a downer. Colleagues were nice though and individually many sent me cards - a few called round with flowers and I got several letters saying I'd be sorely missed - old school HOY I guess - no nonsense approach with management and kids, supported staff, encouraged kids. Oooops. Sorry for personal hijack there!)
    You'll find the first few days, weeks, months even, very strange.
    You've been in the thick of it and suddenly you don't have anything to get up for in the morning. I did miss my colleagues, the social interaction and the routine initially, but those feelings wore off quite quickly. I also missed pay-day but that was a decision I'd made.
    Try to get a daily routine going...I find it helps. I get up for the cat - but also for my going-off-to-work sons.
    Enjoy your freedom. It really is worth it. The stress just melts away and life becomes so much more relaxed and pleasant. I see friends for lunch, potter in the garden, read more books, enjoy lazy breakfasts, have time for beauty routines, go to all sorts of exhibitions and displays,sit on a couple of committees - little work but some dubious 'status' and I get to wear a suit again. [​IMG]
    You'll find you start to notice things which matter much more....and the freedom is just wonderful. I still pinch myself that I am out of the rat-race. I am financially poorer (lots!) but personally wealthy and so much happier.
    Oh yes - another bonus I forgot! Like you, me and the man take our holidays in term time too. We jetted off to the sun in January, leaving the snow of Birmingham airport behind.

18. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Well done - and enjoy every second

19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Best wishes for the next bit cosmos. Good move.

20. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Awra best doll! Enjoy. [​IMG]