1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Well that's it for me.....

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Ladykaza, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

After 5 eventful years which includes recovering from a devastating period of WRS I have finally been driven out of this job.

With a good OFSTED judgement a matter of months ago, rising data across the school after the cliff edge of the new curriculum/assessment and KS2 figures above the national level across the board, I am now being harassed by a LEA 'school improvement advisor'. Without giving too much away his problem revolves around the performance of 4 children he has never met.

The final straw was a 7 page document he now wants me to complete to ' guide our discussion'.

That's it, I'm done. Nothing I do will ever be good enough for these people.

So, after a large glass of wine and a long rant this evening my long suffering husband has begged me to hand in my notice.i will see out the year and will be very sorry to say goodbye too some amazing staff and wonderful kids, but it's a nice little office job for me.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Established commenter

I am so sorry ladykaza to hear this.
    Good luck.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. sooooexcited

sooooexcited New commenter

Congratulations for getting to the point where you can day this. Good luck.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Sorry to hear about your problems. I am sure that you will feel much better now but a decision tinged with sadness.

Following our RI. Ofsted. A year ago the LA decided that we were a school that was a cause for concern. I lasted until February this year when I decided to retire and I handed in my resignation.

In the last week of term in July I received an invite to a party to celebrate my contribution to the LA. I told them where I could stick it.

Since September I have never been so happier, my stress levels are nearly nil and my health is much better.

I wish you well.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. cornflake

cornflake Occasional commenter

Ladykaza so sorry to hear this - but it is good that you have the support of your partner.
    I've been close many times - and at others feel like its an amazing job. I just wish I could have a job that wasn't such a roller coaster of emotions.

Mrs_Hamilton and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Another good woman gone.

Welcome to the rest of your life, enjoy every minute of it! :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Ladykaza I am sorry you have been driven to this. It’s another loss to the profession. I know the feeling of whatever you say they will find another angle to pursue as a weakness. Who will want this job in the future? Who will sustain it for more than a few years?

What a dreadful system we have.

Mrs_Hamilton and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. Marshall

Marshall Occasional commenter

I agree with all the comments about a loss to the profession. Should we not stand up to these people? Should we not take over the education system? And the world?
    Had a really, really, cr*ap day - no beating around the bush:(
    Tried to teach a mastery maths lesson from the subject leaders mastery planning and I didn't even understand it myself never mind the kids.
    Problem is in 10 years time we will be on another cycle again - what goes around, comes around and in the meantime we lose valuable members of our profession.

Northhead, Lara mfl 05 and rosievoice like this.
  9. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

It's the waste that gets me. The loss of experienced and caring teachers who truly loved their work. The unseen costs of forcing them out of the profession, replacing them with fresh new things, working them into the ground, driving them out, replacing them with a fresh supply of malleable new things. Repeat.

Soon the supply of fresh young things will be synchronised with the latest re-cycling of new ideas, and there won't be a single teacher in the staff room who will be old enough to remember how rubbish the latest bright new idea was last time it came around.

alexanderosman likes this.
  10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

These pretty much say it all Ladykaza and so sorry we will lose another. :(

Jesmond12 and Sundaytrekker like this.
  11. Ladykaza

Thank you for all your good wishes. I have to say that a sense of calm has descended and the only thing I'm not looking forward to is telling my staff. I do feel a little that I will be letting them down, but they are good people and will understand.

Once the deed is done I pledge to you all that I will do my small bit for the rest of the year to stand up to these idiots and tell it how it is, as loudly as possible.

12. circuskevin

circuskevin Occasional commenter

Is this 'school improvement advisor' trying to justify his salary?

Kevin

HelenREMfan likes this.
  13. circuskevin

circuskevin Occasional commenter

Hi LadyK,

It would be better for education if you stood up to this 'idiot' before the 'deed is done'.

Have you considered contacting the 'Human Resources' department of your LEA?

A 'data driven' line manager may be happy with his conduct. HR could bring a wider context into the evaluation of his performance and its effect on others. It could unsettle him too as he won't be expecting it.

A chat with HR may reveal more about this individual. Does he have a weak spot? Most men do.

My suggestion may or may not succeed. You will at least learn a little more about the 'system' you are operating within.

Kevin

14. Marshall

I totally agree with LadyK, plus what do your governors think? Or is it already too late:(

15. Ladykaza

Evening all,

In answer to your posts my governors have been very supportive, though they are sad that I'm going.

The meeting has come and gone - a 2 hour grilling - where my CoG nearly made me laugh out loud with his opening question ' why ARE you here?' ..... Surprise, surprise he couldn't find anything wrong with what we're doing!

I refused to let him do an unannounced learning walk, and governors have agreed we will refuse any further 'support'.

Turns out this is a widespread issue in the county on the back of the arrival of a new shiny suited head of school improvement who says there's no excuse for any child not to reach expected.

This I'm definitely not going to miss.

Sundaytrekker and Jesmond12 like this.
  16. Marshall

I refused to work with my advisor and nothing happened!

17. cornflake

cornflake Occasional commenter

Perhaps I buck the trend, but our LA advisor is fantastic. I have been lucky enough to have professionally challenging conversations with someone who listens. I genuinely consider them to be a member of the team.
    However, I am on the verge of another breakdown. Different this time. I just feel completely numb. I don't even have the strength to be angry with the unjust system anymore. I can't give up my vision for an inclusive and holistic education to get a given % of children through a test - so it looks like I'll be going too.

18. Marshall

OMG - what is going on - how can we sort all this out? The profession is bleeding out its good people and this can't continue. I could cry but I'm not going to - I am going to stand and fight. I will write a letter to the government detailing all this cr*ap and the repercussions of this. Anyone willing to support me? Grrrrrrrr

Ladykaza likes this.
  19. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Established commenter

Yes, I will support you Marshall.

20. Ladykaza

I am so sorry to hear this @cornflake . You have fought so hard, and for so long , in such difficult circumstances for your children and your school. I agree with you wholeheartedly but I also know what that weight feels like. You will not give in, you are determined to do the right thing but that just piles on the pressure.

Only you can know what is best for your circumstances but I am leaving knowing I gave a significant portion of my life to this profession, and made a real difference to lots of children. Not many people outside public service can say that. Now it's time to be a bit selfish for once, and pass the baton to someone who hopefully still has some fight in them.