1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Well that was a different holiday

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Sep 15, 2019.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Just spent a week with Mrs Oldy up near Seahouses in Northumbria. We did not do a lot considering I am nearly always whizzing around on holiday. But rather visited fewer places over the week.
    Besides the car, used the trains and local buses and other than bus timetable going wrong the experience, was not to bad
    I do have a few observations:
    The Local folks were so kind and helpful when we got lost on the buses and throughout the stay, I never once heard a discord or annoyance at all our requests, The people we meet, both old and young, were a credit to there county.
    Towns. It so sad to revisit towns and see the decline and the seeming shortage of young folk in them, although they might have been working.
    Hexham . A lovely small town, but in decline as its only big store is closing, leaving little to visit in the shops unless you want coffee. Yet with a wonderful small catherdral.
    Berwick on Tweed. An historical town but again since we last went in declines as shops close, but with folks ever so keen to serve and accomodate. We enjoyed buying in the charity shops for items.
    Newcastle. The capital of Northumberland but the mass pedestrianisation seems well used and because we arrived by train we discovered Grangier Market with stalls I call market stalls. But the pounding on my feet was too much.
    The sights are not all that is claimed where we were, even from the senic journey bus. it's much hyped but you do need to walk the beaches to get the vistas of long beaches. Problems are that access to the beaches needs an ability to walk, and so we were unable to access such places easily as both our legs and feet were playing up badly.
    However. in Praise of the welcome really great and the food inch gathering. Access fine, on the whole, location signs well placed, and even in the back roads the were well placed and well situated. One noticed the driver skills deteriorating as soon as I drove to the outskirts of London.
    Now for next years holiday lol

Lara mfl 05 and lanokia like this.
  2. oldsomeman

Ps, I meant to comment upon the parking in many places, The use a disc system in which you record when you arrived and then display that. Although there was some charging you to park in the smaller towns and attractions you did not pay anything except a £1 to get the initial disc,This worked really well and meany you could find places on car parks without walking miles to the machine.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

We're going to Northumberland on Friday. We'll be swimming in the sea and walking on the beaches. And eating a lot. Kippers, nice pub meals. We won't be going anywhere near Newcastle! Kielder's lovely if you go up that way again. We love it up there. Well done for using public transport.

bombaysapphire and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I like Seahouses - been there a couple of times.

I've never really liked Newcastle - don't know why.

The disk system is used in Scarborough too - it's very good.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

I'm hoping to visit Seahouses soon. Can you get to holy Island from there?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Swimming in the sea there!!!!!!!!
    I got toothache in my feet just paddling in August!
    I hope you're wearing a wet suit?

Seahouses must have improved since my visit (probably 30 years ago now) - my friends and I renamed it 'Sleazelouses'. And pub food was chips with everything.

But the beaches and castles and countryside and islands were stunning.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Doitforfree

No clothes at all! Wetsuits are for softies. I was swimming in the North sea in March. You can't beat it.

Yes you can get to Holy Island from seahouses. Not far at all if you have a car.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Alnwick was lovely when we went several years ago, though it. too, may have declined since then. Holy Island was fabulous. I seem to remember a wonderful walk on the hills near something my memory tells me was called Happy Valley. is that possible? I know we looked down into a field and watched a farmer and his dog herding sheep. It was brilliant.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

South Shields has some nice aspects (e.g. harbour arm, public park); reminds me of seaside resorts of my youth...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. Doitforfree

The poison garden at Alnwick Castle is interesting, in fact the whole gardens are lovely.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Eh? No it isn't.
    It isn't even in Northumberland-it's in Tyne and Wear, and at least 20 miles from the border to Northumberland.
    I know you may have more distant memories than myself :p but it changed in about 1412

The "capital" of Northumberland, if there is one, is probably Morpeth, although many people would like it to be Alnwick.

blue451 likes this.
  12. oldsomeman

Motor up the coast on the A1 and its signposted. We have been there in the past but check the tide times. If your caught out on the causeway as the tide comes in fast and you could be standed for 6 hours and have a very wet car,also if you time it badly on returning.
    Usually there is a tide chart at the start. and parking on the island.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. oldsomeman

Thank you for corrcting and I do apologise if I offend with that comment. Morepeth, we also went to and didnt think a lot of it though.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. oldsomeman

Our real problem is that walking was painful to me and so most of our walking was in flat areas. We last visited Alnwick quite a few years ago and went back for a day, As per last time its was the only day it rained, then and now! LOL
    The facilities are good if you need to loo near the start but up in the gardens...We must admit to being a little disappointed the 2 nd time as it was all familiar but an effort had been made in the walled garden but as a gardener, there was a lot more that might have been done...but each to their own.
    The castle we explored thoroughly last time so didn't this time.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

The county of "Tyne and Wear" is a late twentieth-century innovation. Before then, the road signs announced the border of the "City and County of Newcastle upon Tyne", which the "Toon" has been since the fifteenth century. Sorry to hear people avoiding Newcastle when we have architect John Dobson's Grey Street:
    [​IMG]
    and the new-look quayside, to name just two sightseeing destinations:
    [​IMG]

There's indeed plenty to delight further up the coast and I particularly adore Alnwick for its wonderful second-hand book store located in the former railway station. In the summer there's the Bellingham Fair to attend with the best home-made Victoria sponges I've ever sampled (as a North Easterner myself I admit I'm biased). And there's great walking country. My brother came over from the States to walk the Roman Wall from Cumbria to Wallsend, staying in great hospitable rural inns and B & Bs along the way. When he eventually arrived in Newcastle, I walked with him along the north of the Tyne from the centre of Newcastle to Wallsend and we found ourselves on wooded paths I never knew existed. Hidden gems in the urban landscape!

As for local seabathing, I have snorkelled north of Whitley Bay in the past, but always in a drysuit as the water remains cold all the year round. And I don't care who calls me a softie for doing so! :) The landlubbers who never set foot at all in the water are the only ones who are really missing out on the seaside experience.

16. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

Thank you for answering
    I don't have a car, is it possible to get to Holy Island by public transport?

17. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Corvuscorax likes this.
  18. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I do hope you don't mean 'No clothes at all'!!!!!!:eek::eek::oops:

Even with a swimming costume, I am WELL impressed!

19. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I love Newcastle - though best avoided round the Quayside of a Friday and Saturday night.
    Chillingham Castle is definitely worth a visit - but you need to be with a guide to see the cattle. They are truly wild and dangerous. Beautiful animals, though.
    Wouldn't go out of my way to visit South Shields, even though I used to live there.

Dodros likes this.
  20. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Try and keep a straight-face as you drive past the 'doctored' road signs to Shilbottle...