1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Well that didn't last long. Points based immigration.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ridleyrumpus, Jan 29, 2020.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

On behalf of my fellows immigrants,I'm so sorry I stole your fresh air, your personal space,and don't forget your men and your cats! Jobs too but I did not see a very long queue to try teaching French to spotty teenagers.

2. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

Anyone can come in on a Tier 2 visa and the threshold is £20,000 (salary threshold) for new entrance. I don't know if the resident labour market test is still required but what is the main barrier is the skills charge which is pretty high. Employers (schools) have to pay this (not the migrants) before they can sponsor a particular migrant. This is for each migrant they want to sponsor. I don't think too many schools will want to bother with that if there are locally trained teachers in the UK. Also, the Prime Minister said they would continue to press on with the points based system regardless. And, they've sacked the head MAC advisor (Alan Manning). So, don't get too up in arms. I agree, too many people are coming in and it is putting a strain on everything.

3. ajrowing

ajrowing Established commenter