1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Well that didn't last long. Points based immigration.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ridleyrumpus, Jan 29, 2020.

1. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I thought this thread was meant to be about immigration.
    Silly me!

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Do you mean non-EU spouse? EU spouses are allowed to live in UK without a visa. Even after Friday, they can register for leave to remain for free.
    In 2012 Theresa May introduced the non-EU spouse rules with the income and/or savings stipulations- is this what you are talking about?

alex_teccy likes this.
  3. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

My apologies, you were kidding. Fair enough :)

monicabilongame and ajrowing like this.
  4. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

SOooooooo are we absolutely certain that the new shiny trade deals we are going to do Post Brexit, will in no way contain FOM clauses or Visa's for countries like India etc?

5. ajrowing

ajrowing Established commenter

I think you mean that we can be certain they will contain FOM clauses or visas. Particularly as the government is likely to make all manner of compromises to prove that it has a deal.

6. CraigCarterSmith

but...but....but taking back control Money, law, borders i thought buses would arrive to take away all the immigrants

RULE BRITANNIA, BRITAN...

monicabilongame and dumbbells66 like this.
  7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

It would suit me just fine but there won't be any FOM.

8. ajrowing

Ah you see they are the wrong kind of migrants, if only we had the right kind of migrants it would all be fine.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  9. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

See Monaco and the Channel Islands for further information,

stopwatch and ajrowing like this.
  10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I've got my bags packed!

11. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

Sheesh, that is incorrect on so many levels. Nigel Farrage went on about "and Australian points based system" in literally every interview on the subject.
    I can't think of one Brexiteer politician telling the public that immigration would end after Brexit, let alone find any examples of one saying so.

12. alex_teccy

You don't think that is a valid objective?

13. ajrowing

Given that no one said that we wouldn't have no migration after Brexit (they just gave the impression that there wouldn't be any), then clearly there is going to need to be continued building on the green belt. Whether or not that is a good thing is a different discussion.

14. ajrowing

Did he also go on about having an arrangement similar to Norway? So we can expect to be staying in the single market and customs union then.

15. CraigCarterSmith

don't pack just yet, apparently that's not happening???? which is odd cause i know what we all voted for, exactly the same thing, in every single way, and don't you dare say otherwise, I am smart, a teacher dontcha know :cool:

so if people said "send them back, we're at breaking point" we need to preserve the sanctity of the union, no Northern Irish Borders or differences in regulation, BOO MRS MAY BOOO that WOMAN that's what I voted for, and when i say "Send them back" i mean Norway style deal and by that i mean Canada ++ and obviously that means NO DEAL at all, which is the only clean and sure way to not end up with BRINO, which is what Boris has offered with a border down the Irish sea and of course that is the Brexit i have always dreamed of :p

It's honestly like a script from Wilde, ridiculous people in ridiculous situations entirely unaware that we are all laughing at them

well those of us on the outside who can see this farce for what it really is are :rolleyes::D

16. alex_teccy

Who gave that impression? The position of Leave UK was a points based system, Nigel Farage said it at every opportunity. You're just rewriting history!

17. ajrowing

Nigel Farage said many times that he wanted a Norway style model. That includes a customs union, single market and freedom of movement. Are you suggesting that he was confused and didn't know that Norway had freedom of movement? Seems unlikely you'd think that an MEP would know that sort of thing.

18. alex_teccy

Did he? Perhaps in regard to trading arrangements. When I heard him being interviewed (only on a couple of occasions) he mentioned "Australian points based system" several times.

19. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Farage had/has no power to promise anything.
    I contend that a critical mass of Leave voters believed the 'being swamped ' posters, and took the end to freedom of movement and controlling borders to mean the end of immigration to the UK.

20. alex_teccy

An extra 250,000+ per year net, isn’t being “swamped”?