1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Well that didn't last long. Points based immigration.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ridleyrumpus, Jan 29, 2020.

1. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

So the big idea with a points based system was sold as a way of ensuring only the best of the best and those with experience can immigrate into the UK.

But now we are told that the threshold for entry will probably come down from £30k a year to just over £25k in order to attract teachers, nurses etc.

£25k is about NQT wages. How does that sit with attracting the best and those with experience?

All it will do is undermine our wages and make the shortages worse over the long term.

jellycowfish and ajrowing like this.
  2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

As some arriving do not earn 25k it is about enabling those working here, and hoping to arrive, stop being under threat because they do not earn the £30k plus guideline set for staying.
    Nurses will never earn big sums so we, in theory, can lose those paid such sums if we retain the old limit.
    The average wage is not much more than thins anyway!

alex_teccy likes this.
  3. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Perhaps, just perhaps there would not be a need for immigrant teachers if the wages for those already here were not being undermined?

Same for nurses, fully qualified nurses start at £24k+.

Attracting immigration to fulfill the lowest paid in the profession seems to go against the stated aim of only attracting the most talented.

jellycowfish and grumbleweed like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Like virtually everything about Brexit - none of it was thought through properly.

The whole thing is just going to snowball out of control - it's a very stupid thing we have done.

5. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Is there any reason not to do both?

6. ajrowing

ajrowing Established commenter

What is this madness. Brexit should be about taking back control of our borders not letting in even more migrants.

Burndenpark and monicabilongame like this.
  7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

That's what Brexit supporters were led to believe without it actually being clearly stated.
    Controlling borders is not actually a No Immigration policy but people thought it was and will be up in arms when they realise that they were tricked.
    The UK will now control borders by not having to allow in any EU citizens who wants to come here to live and work beyond a holiday visit. They will have to apply under the new rules that will apply equally to non-fiction EU migrants.
    The outcome will be similar levels of immigration because we cannot staff hospitals, Care homes etc without them, but there will be fewer EU migrant workers and more from other areas of the world.

yodaami2, emerald52 and chelsea2 like this.
  8. LondonCanary

Up in arms = being cross on twitter

alex_teccy likes this.
  9. ajrowing

But fewer demand for housing because these immigrants from outwith the EU won't need houses?

10. loranp

loranp New commenter

The cost of sponsoring my non-UK citizen spouse is what is stopping me from returning to the UK. It is beyond difficult to secure a job from overseas that would pay me enough to meet the requirement. I would be ecstatic if it was lower.

11. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The borders will be open because UK Plc says so. The only people who want to control what comes in and and out of our country is the nasty EU apparently.

Burndenpark, sbkrobson and ajrowing like this.
  12. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

You are kidding right? Brexit was about allowing the billionaires to deregulate the UK (Singapore on Thames, essentially), backed up by xenophobia and a rose tinted view of the past. Add a healthy dose of stupidity, a large dollop of the hard right press drip feeding anti EU stories for the last 30 years, Russian influence to try to break up a competing economic block and a massive amount of wishful thinking.
    Stir, subject to a referendum to allow the ruling party to steal some votes off the swivel eyed lunatic fringe (AKA UKIP), ask the wrong question in the wrong way to the wrong people at the wrong time, mess up the campaign to remain and serve with another sprinkling of racist bile.

13. ajrowing

I was assured recently that Brexit would save our green belt by producing a lesser demand for housing, by having fewer migrants. I didn't believe a word of it, but thought it might be amusing to spout the same joke here, sorry.

Burndenpark and monicabilongame like this.
  14. LondonCanary

All 54 of them? I don't think so.

alex_teccy likes this.
  15. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Very well put!

Alice K likes this.
  16. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

This. The nett result will involve no real change in migration numbers but .. an increase in numbers of possibly differently coloured migrants; that’ll puzzle the bigots who were probs hoping for a different outcome.

monicabilongame and ajrowing like this.
  17. christubbs

christubbs New commenter

18. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

About a third of them. I’ll try to find the link. That’s a lorra pounds of influence.

19. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I wouldn’t bother if I were you. Going to hell in a hand basket.

Jolly_Roger15 likes this.
  20. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

And so the accusations fly, If you are proved correct then I will applaud your rhetoric, but im still hearing all the doom!