1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Well known tuition platform changing!

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by parseltongue, Dec 16, 2019.

1. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Actually my understanding is that TH are planning to add 25% to tutor's fees, not take 25% off. If all the fees go up by 25% then you'd be in the same position relative to other tutors on the website as before the increase. The students would just have to pay more. I do agree that 25% seems an exorbitant amount for what TH do.

Maybe we've had a "golden age" for tutors, which is coming to an end as more and more greedy people try to cash in on the demand without actually doing any tutoring. It seems a bit like what is happening with schools, as MATs and non-teaching managers rip off money that should be used for teaching.

2. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

It is true what you say about a 'golden age' I think we will just see a rise in tuition centres. As the cost between a tutor and a tuiton centre will increase. Maybe another website will set up under the old model.

3. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I'd certainly agree about the increase in tuition centres; around here there seems to be one on every street corner.

4. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

A lot of parents find tutors on TH as their rates are often lower than elsewhere. When all rates are increased by 25% a lot of parents will likely look elsewhere, unless tutors take a pay cut. My main objection is the high percentage. What they do currently does not justify such an amount. If they are going to justify it by taking payments, organising lessons and then paying tutors, that will be a double blow. I seriously do not want them taking my payments or organising my schedule. I am very flexible with my students and occasionally change times or days, this would become a nightmare if everything has to be done via TH.

5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

It was the same around here (NW London) until recently. Over the last couple of years, quite a few of these have 'shut up shop', so I wonder if their ;golden age' is coming to an end, too.

6. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

When I recently logged into TH I was informed that the 25% commission would be applied if I continued to offer online tuition, but not face-to-face tuition. I opted out of the online tuition option (to be fair very few of my previous clients had asked for this anyway).

Last week I took on a new face-to-face client and they had to follow the usual procedure of purchasing my details. I have not had to pay commission or set up payment via TH.

Perhaps the switch to a commission based platform is only partial?

I also received the email from FT about their pledge to not introduce a commission based platform which is a relief, and should tutors abandon the likes of TF and TH, FT may reap the benefits of more tutors signing up or using their platform more often.

It will be interesting to see how things develop anyway.

Lespaul101 likes this.
  7. cwilson1983

I'd imagine that's one of the justifications for introducing an eye watering 25% commission payment from the outset to ensure they generate an income in case tutors and their clients later decide to make a private arrangement.

8. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

That’s interesting about FT not planning on introducing extortion rates.
    I will definitely register on there when I have space for new students.

9. cwilson1983

Despite lacking the search for tutee function as found on TH, FT has provided me a steady flow of enquiries and students over the past few years (I'm north west based, core subject at secondary level). Definitely worth signing up.

10. roryjg91

roryjg91 New commenter

Has anyone thought about being a Tutoring Franchisee? Having a brilliant work life balance whilst helping children make progress is liberating.

11. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

I was thinking today about putting on the TH that lessons are booked in half-term blocks. So they pay for the first lesson then if they wish to continue they pay the remaining lessons up front through TH. Then at the next half-term I will ask for the money up front and let the parents choose if they pay through TH or pay me directly with a 25% discount.

12. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Looking at post #11, I don't it would be possible to get payment up front via TH. TH say they will automatically take payment 24 hours after each lesson.

13. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

Most of my students prefer paying in cash. I also much prefer it as don’t have to start chasing when people forget to pay online. I want my payments at the end of every lesson, not when TH get around to it.