1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Well known tuition platform changing!

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by parseltongue, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

The tutors are not employed by the website so how can they enforce a schedule and siphon off their earnings?

2. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

This is the problem with the system, those who are honest pay for those that aren't. If you agree to a websites terms and conditions you should honor those conditions, if not leave that website but don't cheat them by telling students to bypass them. That is dishonest. Like us they are a business and have to make money to survive.

3. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

Why should they expect to take 25% of people’s earnings simply for making an introduction?
    What if you tutor a child for 12 months? Or even longer. Do you think a simple introduction would justify how much money they would take from you?
    I would say that is cheating tutors out of their hard earned income.

4. gainly

gainly Star commenter

If you look at @cwilson1983's post, TH say "The commission is added to your chosen hourly rate (not taken off)." In theory this should mean the student will have to pay a lot more and the tutor should be no worse off. In practice the tutor may get fewer students unless they drop their rate.

Lespaul101 likes this.
  5. briancant

Like a lot of teachers you don't understand business. If you don't agree with their terms and conditions don't sign up with them. That being said 75% of something is better than 100% of nothing and the wise man raises his rate to cover this extra cost. They don't operate out of the kindness of their hearts, they are there to make a profit.

6. install

install Star commenter

A big blanket statement about teachers not able to 'understand business' is always fascinating. I think you will find there are lots of teachers who fully understand how crooked and money grabbing the business world is....

Lespaul101 likes this.
  7. jean_daligault

jean_daligault New commenter

Websites which commission is entirely percentage based (most are now it seems) are good for students who want short term tuition. Those which commission is flat (SP is the only one I know) are good for long term tuition. If students were not dumb they'd choose websites appropriately, and TH and company would get 0 long term students.

8. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

Briancant
    What an arrogant comment from yourself. I can assure I understand business quite well. However, understanding something and agreeing with it are two separate things entirely. On the TH Website they actually boast about their tutor’s rates being lower than other sites because they don’t charge a percentage of each lesson. This is the reason I have exclusively used them.
    students will look elsewhere as tutor rates will have to increase substantially.

install likes this.
  9. briancant

If you understood business you wouldn't be describing the service they offered as 'extortion'. They are open about the service they provide and the cost involved. If you don't like that don't use them. You suggest in your first statement instructing students to inform said company they no longer require tutoring, the implication being that you seek to cut out their fee. That is dishonest. I'm very surprised a fellow teacher should suggest such a thing and as I say those who are honest will end up having to pay more. As for the insult I'm not arrogant and wrong about a lot of things but I do disapprove very strongly to what you suggest.

10. briancant

Well those that would accept students from an agency on the agreement that the agency takes a percentage and then seek to cheat the agency out of that percentage, certainly know a bit about being 'crooked and money grabbing'.....

11. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I think people are upset because they signed up to TH under one set of conditions and they are now being altered to a different set of conditions which are much less favourable. If they signed up to a website knowing from the outset that they were going to take 25% commission, there would be no grounds to complain.

However, TH can do what they want and if tutors don't like the new conditions they can leave. Since the commission model is now being adopted by most tutoring websites, they would need to find new ways of advertising.

I suppose I'm fortunate in that I am now winding down my tuition. I've only had my TH profile activated 2 months in the last 2 years. When the new system comes in I'll probably just leave TH, as I think I'll be able to get as many students as I want by word of mouth.

12. install

install Star commenter

So hts being 'money grabbing' then - not teachers.

13. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

I withdrew from TH some time ago when they were suggesting free first lessons, free from my cost, but not from theirs. However, I stayed with FT. I received an email from them a couple of days ago confirming they would not be changing their model, remaining with the introductory fee only.

It is worth reflecting on the fact that TH have changed the terms and conditions under which most on here joined, ie introductory fee only. Many years ago I was in an agency that did the same, charging 25%, needless to say that although I was bombarded with requests I rarely accepted them and quickly moved on. It's still out there somewhere, languishing at the bottom of the search lists.

cwilson1983 likes this.
  14. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

If TH imposes a 25% commission, the tutor has either to absorb this as a pay cut, or increase their fees by this amount and lose business. I think we do understand business.

15. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

Or they move on - I suspect most will do the latter.

16. briancant

Pirates have always understood business.

17. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

Briancant , do you work for TH?
    I’m very surprised that someone educated enough to become a tutor is so happy to give up a quarter of their income for no reason whatsoever, when they have already signed up under different terms. I find it very surprising. Your attitude towards other people on here is also quite disturbing.

18. briancant

"do I work for TH?" No of course not.
    When an agency offer me a student under certain conditions I either accept or decline but I don't moan about those conditions and I honor them if I accept. For what it's worth if TH try to charge me 25% commission I probably won't accept the student, but they have a perfect right to do so and as I've said I won't accept that student and then seek to bypass the agency. Business!! If I told my friends who have started business's that I had to pay 25% of my income to cover marketing and advertising they would fall over in amazement. Some of them at start up are spending over 100% of income on this. Like I say you don't understand the real world of business. With my regard to my attitude to others I always listen to what they say and treat their opinion with respect.

19. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

You have no clue about business. Do you think there is one single business in this world that does not constantly look for ways to maximise their profits? The TH website has made an agreement with tutors. They are now seeking to renege on that agreement as they seek to take a large chunk of tutor’s earnings. A small percentage might be acceptable but 25% is extortionate.
    You do come across as a very unpleasant individual and I have no desire to continue this discussion with you.

20. suzette

suzette Occasional commenter

Or it could be the other one that is Tutor & ends in Fair!

cwilson1983 likes this.