1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Well known tuition platform changing!

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by parseltongue, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

For the last year or so, the TH website seems to be doing some strange things. I will get an email from TH, telling me that 'someone has just viewed my profile'. When I follow the link to the student, i find that they have not logged into the site for months!

2. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I only get emails when someone actually sends an enquiry.

However, one very odd thing is that, if I click on "Summary", I'm told I've had 285 profile views this month and 401 last month. This seems very unlikely as I disabled my profile at the end of October. If I click on "My Profile" then "Who's found me?" I'm told 3 profile views this month and 3 last month, which seems much more likely. Why are they so different?

3. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@gainly: I had a look at TH just now, and it is the same for me.

4. arauf

arauf New commenter

What is TF?

5. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

Tutorful?

Bolter likes this.
  6. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Codes are used because we shouldn't mention real names.

7. briancant

We try not to mention real names so as not to upset anyone.

I've just totted up how much TF and TH have made from me this year. TF thousands TH hundreds so I can't blame them for changing. Like all businesses they are there to make money.

8. arauf

arauf New commenter

Hi,

I sent you a PM to look at when you get a moment.

Thanks

9. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

Why not?

10. gainly

gainly Star commenter

TES don't like us using the names of tutoring websites. I'm not sure why, I did message them about this quite some time ago but their reply didn't really answer my question. I think they must regard it as advertising, although more often we seem to be complaining about them. In the past posts have been deleted by TES because they mentioned the names of tutoring websites.

cwilson1983 likes this.
  11. gainly

gainly Star commenter

cwilson1983 likes this.
  12. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Here's the actual reply I got from TES.

Thank you for your email. Apologies for the delay in responding to you.

The Tes Community is primarily a platform for education professionals to discuss issues that matter to them such as sharing good practice, exchanging ideas and gaining information, guidance and support on work-related dilemmas.

When members register on the site they agree to the house rules which include the terms and conditions. The Ts and Cs include the following:

You agree that you will not use our Websites (including Services) to:

• Upload, post, email, PM (personal message) or otherwise transmit any User-Uploaded Content that:
    • Amounts to unsolicited or unauthorised advertising
    • Post content which refers to individual schools, colleges or agencies - or their staff - whether by name, or identifiable by a pseudonym or any other means.
    And the code of conduct states:

We understand some of the debates can get heated and we encourage freedom of speech, but we expect our members to treat others with respect and courtesy. We will not tolerate the following…

• References to individual schools, colleges or agencies - or their staff - whether by name, or identifiable by a pseudonym or any other means

You may be held legally accountable for what you say or do online. In particular, you may be held liable for any defamatory comments, threats and untrue statements or other illegal or fraudulent claims made by you.

The reason why we have these rules in place is to ensure that 1) unsolicited advertising (intended or not) does not happen on the site and 2) people do not use the forums as a platform to criticise or ‘name and shame’ external businesses with comments that could be potentially libellous – this could leave the members potentially liable for defamation.

You mentioned that there are examples on the site where people have discussed other agencies which gives the impression that these discussions are welcome. To clarify, agencies should not be mentioned on the forums and that’s why some of the content, usually reported to the Moderation Team, has been removed.

Thousands of messages are posted to the Tes Community every day. We operate a notice and take down policy known as reactive moderation. We rely on our members to notify us about messages which break our house rules, including terms and conditions. We would urge you to report content which breaches those rules.

We hope that this helps to clarify the situation and removes any current confusion over the matter.

Regards

The Community Team

cwilson1983 likes this.
  13. briancant

Makes sense.

14. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Even more oddly I'm now told on the "Summary" page that I've had 428 profile views this month but only 6 views in the last 7 days. Since the month is less than 3 days old something doesn't seem to add up there. I suspect the numbers are randomly generated and bear no resemblance to reality.

bramblesarah likes this.
  15. parseltongue

parseltongue New commenter

I have sent 2 emails to TH asking them to keep me on the old, non-commission system. No response.

16. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Although the change doesn't affect me yet, I emailed TH to express my concern and say I would leave if they put me onto the bookings and commission system. I received the following reply:

Jan 10, 12:47 PM GMT

Hi,
    Thank you for your message, apologies for the delay in my response. We do plan on moving all tutors to the bookings model in the future.

Many thanks,
    Marwa

Not good news I'm afraid.

17. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

How can they justify this? Disgusting! All they are doing is making an introduction! Does a Plummer pay 25% of every job to yellow pages because people get his number from there? Does he hell.
    This would destroy my tutoring business.

18. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

What’s to stop people telling students to inform the website they have cancelled tuition after a month or two and carrying on with private agreement to avoid the extortion?

cwilson1983 likes this.
  19. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I imagine that if you keep having students "cancelling" after a few lessons they may remove you from the website. Even if they lose half their tutors by doing this they will still make a lot more money.

20. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

How can they justify taking a quarter of people’s income for a simple introduction?
    I most certainly will be telling students to inform the website that their child ‘has made great progress and no longer requires tutoring ‘ after a certain amount of time. It is extortion.