1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Well known tuition platform changing!

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by parseltongue, Dec 16, 2019.

1. parseltongue

parseltongue New commenter

Anyone else had the message from TH regarding being paid in arrears, students being charged commission, and tutees being allowed to cancel 12 hours in advance without charge?
    Surely no professional tutor will continue to use them??

2. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I know TH introduced this system in April this year for new tutors, but at the time it didn't affect existing tutors. I did wonder if they might then want to change to this system for existing tutors but I haven't had any message about this, at least not yet. If tutors leave en masse maybe they will rethink.

3. gainly

gainly Star commenter

4. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Not heard anything. I have a number of students who I got from them but they can't change the terms and conditions by which I tutor them, it could only be for new students. I would assume they are trying to align themselves more with TF style of operating. Certainly TF have made much more money from me than TH but I suppose they do do more for that money.

5. parseltongue

parseltongue New commenter

I only found out once I logged in. As per previous post, this was originally just for new members but looks like all tutors will have to agree to it when they next log in.

6. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I've just logged on and can't see any message about this. Where did you see the message?

7. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

I’ve not had any message about this.

8. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Let's say-hypothetically-that I know someone who has their son tutored-and recently received a text saying that his tutor was signed off sick and so wouldn't be able to tutor him again, and to find another tutor. Could it be because of something like this? Child is well-behaved and reasonably bright-the reason his parents got a tutor is due to him having medical problems/missing things at school, and the parents thought he'd benefit from someone expert in teaching Year 7. Parents/child were always polite/flexible when tutor wanted to rearrange sessions, they always paid on time and never cancelled; boy and tutor seemed to get on well together.
    Basically, should the parents ask the tutor whether she might like to be re-employed directly in the future?

9. BG54

BG54 Occasional commenter

I've had no message from TH regarding this although I have had a "discussion" with them via email as they insist I need a DBS certificate that is less than 2 years old despite me pointing out to them that I am subscribed to the DBS annual update scheme in order to avoid having to re-apply for a new certificate every so often. Has anyone else had this issue, the other agencies that I'm registered with seem happy enough with that arrangement.

10. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

On logging in, there is a notice for tutors who offer online as well as face to face tuition regarding accepting the new payment structure.

This is very similar to other sites which insist on handling all payments whilst taking a hefty commission too.

The options appear to be to accept this or skip onto the profile area and no longer appear in searches for online tutors.

11. cwilson1983

12. cwilson1983

Apologies for the duplicates.

13. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I think this must only apply to those offering online tuition, I haven't got any message when I log on. I fear it may be going to happen to those of us offering face to face tuition before too long.

14. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

I really don’t want to have to let them handle the booking, I’m very flexible with my students and I often tutor at different times/days if need be, much easier to do if I’m scheduling lessons myself. TH at the moment is great and I’ve had a lot of work through them. 25% of each lesson is extortionate!

cwilson1983 likes this.
  15. cwilson1983

Indeed. It's why I stopped using TF. It was a case of take a pay cut it or raise my price per hour to accommodate this extra 'overhead' and potentially lose clients. Either way the tutor is screwed!

16. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

I emailed the site a while ago asking them not to extend this to tutors who are already registered. I suggest you all do the same!

gainly and MathMan1 like this.
  17. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I'll do this also once the holidays are over; it may do some good.

I emailed them quite a while ago about their policy of requiring tutors to provide names of referees. I got a reply which didn't really answer my question, but they did eventually change the policy and accept my 5 star reviews as equivalent to references.

Did you get a reply from TH?

18. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Seems to me that they are following TF method of working. They will need to up their service if they are. TF employ some very good people who will always spend time on the phone to answer queries etc. I phoned TH once and was less than impressed with the response, I would question whether they person who answered the phone had ever used one before. Perhaps this will mean that FT will start picking up more trade?

19. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

They just said 'Thank you for your message, apologies for the delay in my response. I will be sure to pass on your feedback.'

20. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Thank you, that's not a very helpful response from TH. Hopefully if they get enough similar messages they might take some notice.

bramblesarah likes this.