1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Well, if they are bored by ICT,,,,

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by P_Storfhack, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Think how bored they are going to be when they are stuck in front of a computer for 55 minutes typing 'If A = B THEN C' and all manner of other interesting computer expressions.

Lets be really honest here folks, it don't get much more boring than coding!

2. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

Nothing like a little xkcd...
    We need a balanced curriculum that offers an insight into programming in such a way that most students stay interested while also teaching them practical and generally useful skills in word processing/spreadsheets/presentations that are applicable beyond computing.
    And hey, perhaps we can get them to write some decent documentation (Word/Publisher), construct a budget (Excel) and explain why the project is late and went over budget to your stakeholders (PowerPoint or, for the wimps, e-mail). See? ICT is useful...

3. Ummm yes it does - changing the Username in the options panel of a MS Office app.

Coding can be great, it almost needs taught in an unorthodox manner, but until we get the kids over the "i'm rubbish at Maths/IT/whatever" mentality and they realise that they can do anything that they put their mind to (excluding mischief-making) then we will struggle.

I teach Computing and it's one of my most challenging and favourite subjects - it requires you to think logically through problems and eliminate possibilities - how is that different from scientific enquiry or research?

4. If that's the limit of your imagination in teaching you could make filling the classroom the naked dancing girls boring ...

5. .... that's probably the best way of doing it .....

6. Agreed! Isn't that what scaffolding learning is about?!?!!!!!