1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Well, I finally went and got my eyes tested...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by marmot.morveux, Apr 6, 2011.

1. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

Well...that just means you'll be looking damn foxy in the future [​IMG]

I remember when I found out I needed glasses. I was back learning in a glassroom and was thinking 'the OHP is a bit blurry', the teacher gave me her glasses and hey presto...oh damn, it's me! [​IMG]
    MM

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Similar experience.
    I always thought that the far far distance bas blurred because it was - well - the far far distance. Then, in a bar I was once asked what scotch I wanted. I thought it was too smokey to be able to read the labels clearly from the table at which I was sitting and a friend jokingly gave me his glasses saying "Here, try these".
    They worked!

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Well I would!
    [​IMG]

4. I have been wearing glasses since I was 11 so I've known for a long time that my vision is poor. Still nothing prepares you for the day when you have to admit that you can no longer see the great big A at the top of the chart without your glasses. My son, who was also having his eyes tested that day, could not stop laughing.

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I've worn glasses since I was about 5.
    I remember the old NHS glasses - no choice of style, just the little round frames in a choice of pink, blue or brown rims. At least today you get a choice of glasses even on the nulltarif.
    We used to have a school eye-test (along with school dentist AGGGGH! and the beloved nit-nurse). One idiot asked me to take my glasses off and read from the chart on the wall. I timidly explained I can't see without my glasses, but the school-optician insisted. I handed over my glasses and blearily gazed at the wall. 'No, I can't see a thing!'....The optician grunted and turned me around - 'the chart is on <u>this</u> wall!'...I still couldn't see anything!

6. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

mine was taking my driving test, asked to read the number plate on the car, couldn't quite make it out, took a step forward and was fine, went for an eye test the next day and have had glasses ever since.

7. Yes - this was a bit of a shocker. I mean, I knew, really, that I was going to be told I need glasses.
    But I thought I would get to like row 5 or summat - not struggle at the end of row 2.
    There was also this weird test where you had 4 circles within a square and you had to say which of the circles was nearest to you.
    Well, I couldn't even see the bleddy circles.

8. I also could have nearly whacked her one when she said "Come on, try harder - there are 4 circles, you only have to tell me where the nearest one is".
    When I said but I can't see any she gave me a very strange look (I could see THAT!)

9. Try harder??? Either you can see it without squinting or you can't!
    I couldn't believe it the first time I experienced proper vision at the optician's, aged 22. I thought everyone saw faces as pink blobs with dark patches on until they were almost on top of you. I thought everyone saw motorway signs as two, one on top of the other, that merged into one as you got closer.
    I couldn't have gone back to that!
    If you don't fancy specs, how about contacts or laser surgery?

10. I don't know if I can have contacts yet - I have a second appt next week (very impressed, also free of charge) as this was in the afternoon and they want to compare with my vision in the morning.
    It depends, apparently, on what is exactly wrong with my left eye.
    But I very definitely need glasses - that is a given.
    She was actually quite sweet towards the end and said "You don't need a guide dog yet".

11. A guide dog is for Christmas........

12. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i've finally chosen some glasses that make me look geek chic rather than a complete and utter dork. only took 7 months to find them... but picking them up on saturday!
    my sight isn't that bad though. is only on the cusp of needing glasses anyway, but i get headaches, so thought i'd better get on with it.

13. I look a dork with sunglasses. I am going to look like a mega dork with proper glasses.
    My face is not the shape for glasses, no matter what shape the glasses are.
    I am so annoyed.
    My colleague has one of those faces that look super with glasses - she looks way classy and cool and sophisticated.
    I just look like. A Dork.

14. ner ner! told ya so!

15. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

so did i, CQ, with most of them. tried millions on, over the months, was in despair. came as a complete shock to me AND mr s when i tried these on. i even almost look sexy... i practised pulling them down my nose and looking over the top of them at him. got a broad grin in response.

i might be on to something here.

16. You did, you did!
    [​IMG]

17. So what kind have you gone for?

18. I have the opposite problem. Convinced I need glasses. Not terribly but occasionally I struggle. I go opticians once a yr not once every 3 just to be sure and everytime they insist i have 19/20 vision.... so why do I struggle!?

19. Are your eyes just getting tired? Can you see better at some times than others?
    My eyes are knackered basically because of 20 years of working at a monitor and because of a family trait. Plus my silly hobbies such as cross stitch and embroidery. And my thyroid (now, that I had no idea about - apparently linked, hey ho, you live and learn).

20. Hmm possibly. I do know that the squiggly lines (you know the black ones that opticians tell you are your eye jelly breaking down with age) are worse in the morning than at night.