1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Well... how did it go? Still smiling?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Dec 28, 2015.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Ours was pretty good. 3 of us on 25th, 4 on the 26th, 8 on the 27th and then back to 2 now. It is so much work and I'm glad it's over, but it would have been nice to have son 2 around for another day. The day with the g'children was fun. I've put on a load of flab and haven't finished eating and drinking yet but I can deal with it in the New Year.

Onwards to NYE with dinner for 6 and friends staying over. Fingers crossed it'll go well.

2. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Very quiet. Number One Son and his wife couldn't fit us in this year and they've now just flown off to Mauritius until 12th. Number Two Son is at home but prefers upstairs to downstairs only descending to feed and water himself. Off to Heathrow tomorrow to pick up his girlfriend who flies in from San Francisco. Think we'll have a 'faux Christmas' on the 16th Jan

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Yeah, it was fine.

4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Gawd, it's bad enough making it through a real one, let alone inventing a faux one!:( You must be a glutton for punishment.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

One half of the family on Christmas Day with the youngest 6 month old grand baby. They stayed over and overlapped with the other half, who arrived on Boxing Day morning and stayed that night. They left yesterday afternoon.

Beds have been changed and re changed and will be done again at the end of the year. We seem to have acquired a travel cot too.

6. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Ah but the real one wasn't anything other than another day

7. grumpydogwoman

My daughter has posted pictures on Facebook so she must have enjoyed it. Also pictures of her kids looking cute. So it must have been OK.

I try to anaesthetise myself with liberal doses of wine. That seems to work well.

Our green bins are crazy-full so many presents were given and received.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Very good, thanks. Although I have to go to Panto no.3 in a couple of days and I really don't think I can cope...
    I can't get out of it though.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Sounds good. Plus it extends the 'holiday season'.;)

10. grumpydogwoman

I think I may be going DRY for January. *sobs*

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Think of the 'health benefits'!;) And how good that first one will taste in February! :D

12. grumpydogwoman

I've done it twice before so I can do it again.
    *sobs*

13. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

The gremlins arrived on Christmas Eve, when a set of fairy lights went out.

No probs I thought.

Then the telly went off in the morning. Turns out it was due to a leaking loo cistern, which had dripped through the ceiling, and onto the telly.

No probs I thought. Temporary measures put in place, and day went well.

Late evening, went to drive Dad home, and found both main beam bulbs had blown on the car.

No probs I thought. Most of the journey will be in well-lit areas, so just use side-lights. (But had to use full-beam in the dark stretches, but when dipped for approaching traffic, temporarily blinded.)

Get Dad home, and he dropped his house key, and despite various searchings in the dark, key could not be found.

No probs, I have a spare key.

(I could go on, the gremlins continued on throughout the next day too!)

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  14. ninenotes

ninenotes Senior commenter

You've got a poltergeist.

rachelpaula008 and cissy3 like this.
  15. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I was going to 'like' your post but it seems desperately inappropriate to do that!
    Poor you, that sounds very trying :(

cissy3 likes this.
  16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

A series of unfortunate events. Unlemony and unsnickity, but still unfortunate, eventful and in a series.

*you have my sympathies*

cissy3 likes this.
  17. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Our Christmas was lovely but I'm feeling a bit out of sorts today as I've gone from having a houseful of people for days to being on my own for a week. Feeling quite teary about it actually.

18. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

They're not really problems when you think of all the people flooded out etc (and worse elsewhere)

And there were some blessings.

I now know that there is an extra stop-**** outside, which is easier to access, than the one behind the washing machine!

kibosh likes this.
  19. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

It's probably just the shock of feeling emotionally 'abandoned', and maybe abruptly too, if all your guests left at once. Hopefully you'll feel better tomorrow.

RedQuilt and cissy3 like this.
  20. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Sorry to hear that @RedQuilt

RedQuilt likes this.