1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Well, have the French got it right?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by thumbshrew, Jun 27, 2013.

1. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

With regard to TAs contracts and pay what do any of you know about this.

community.tes.co.uk/.../641285.aspx

The effect of 'Single status', whatever that actually means, seems to mean that TAs in my LA get paid less and their jobs are less secure. I'm not sure of the details, I'm not a TA and haven't been to any of the meetings, but from what they say it sounds shocking and there has been no publicity in the media.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Not as far as I know maizie but I do know the TAs on a course with me (from 2 different LAs ) were all paid by the hour

3. As I understand it council worker pay inequalities were identified, due to the fact that TAs were traditionally paid for hours they did not work ie over school holidays. Single status arguments were used to justify ending that practice and so TA wages dropped, although protected for a certain length of time. It's a case of local authorities using single status to their advantage.

No wonder TAs work strictly to their contracted hours! Anything extra, in these circumstances, would arguably be overtime, and subject to extra payment.