1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Well, have the French got it right?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by thumbshrew, Jun 27, 2013.

1. I wasn't characterising myself as a bluebottle, Msz. Bluestocking perhaps.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

And I wanted to ask about dirty bums.

3. No, I blindfold the children and give them scapulas and make them cut it up for themselves while singing , "I want to be free".

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Did you mean scalpels, perchance?

5. they were expected to go out to ASDA and buy the loo paper on a Monday morning. I'm afraid they wore high vis jackets, but we got them weaned off that by the end of the year.

6. No, nothing as wimpish as scalpels. Scapulas they sharpened themselves with their teeth.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

See, thumbie. They are further along their stepping stones that you ever thought possible if they can sharpen their own shoulder blades with their own teeth. And contortionists into the bargain!

8. No, don't be silly. Not their own scapulas.

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

So staff cut up fruit?

10. Fruit came from the kitchen ready cut up. Always a mixture of fruits including pineapple and melon most days. Lovely jubbly.

And sometimes fromage frais - I promise the children removed the lids themselves. [​IMG]

Tres Franglais.

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Our nursery children have a jug of water on the snack table, clean cups and a bowl into which they chuck the used ones. After a few hiccups, it works a treat. I love watching them learn how to pour water out of what, for them, must be a huge container.

Our reception children can bring in water bottles but they have to go home each evening to be washed. This adds a minute to the handing-out business at the end of the school day.

What really annoys me is the loss of TAs and NNEBs to admin tasks such as sticking stuff into children's portfolios.

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

Actually, why are we letting children drink from what are basically teats [which need sterilizing] instead of age-appropriate cups and beakers? Sports bottles are supposed to be for people on the run - literally - so I really don't know how they've crept into schools.

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

On the few occasions that I've I've drunk from one, I've had to palpate it in a way that transported me straight back to very early childhood.

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

Our practice could be improved by having NHS style jugs with covered lids, I suppose, thought hat would be hard for little fingers.

15. May2

May2 Established commenter

I think Thumbie said her children were given these bottles so they thought they should use them. I remember my school being given some at one point I am not sure where they cam,e from but we just sent them home for them to use there. Some of the older children brought them back daily for a while as older classes bring in own bottles full each day and take them home each day. Only the nursery don't bring drinks but if they want an extra drink apart from their carton of milk they can pour a cup of water. cups and bowls from fruit the children put by sink and any staff wash at end of session.( we were told they must have a clean bowl for their whole apple or banana and had to stop just sitting at a recently wiped table with the fruit). Our children take a whole fruit e.g apple , banana, Satsuma, tomato and we only cut some slices for about two children usually to entice them to eat fruit.

16. inky

inky Lead commenter

Those sports bottles are not ideal for young children.

If I owned a nursery or had the management of one, I'd ban them.

17. It's good to have some new voices on the thread. Now we've dealt with the bottle issue how about the big issue? inky touched on it when she said she didn't like losing TAs to admin tasks. My TAs didn't do much admin. They did observations which I was responsible for collating and sticking into the books. But it seems like part of the same problem, ie TAs do not work the hours necessary for all we need from them.

Let's face it it is not working one way or another. Either we lose TAs when we need them with the children or we lose them when we need them without the children. What annoys me is that this issue is not acknowledged. I think the powers that be know that teachers will fill the gaps.

I have to say it is also annoying when some teachers do not acknowledge that this could be an issue, even when told about it, because it is not an issue in their particular circumstances.

The issue is not about individual solutions eg water bottles. Water bottles may not suit some, they may suit others, with various valid reasons on both sides.

The real issue is about systems and working conditions. So. What do people think about this, especially in relation to Truss's attraction to the French system?

18. Msz

equally it's annoying when a teacher won't acknowledge that their practice could be making the issue much worse.

Perhaps presenting SMT with a list of unnecessary/necessary jobs and detailing why some jobs need to be done when the children have left for the day

19. I'm a bit puzzled about these TA hours of work. In secondary (and surely our pupils don't do fewer hours than EY?) there are 25 hours of teaching time per week. If you take that away from 32 1/2 hours that leaves 7 1/2 hours a week 'non-contact'. So what are the TAs doing then?

Also intrigued by the emphasis on 'salaried'. It sounds like something out of the Dark Ages. All TAs are 'salaried' in that they are monthly paid (into their bank accounts, no less; though how very impudent of them to have bank accounts) rather than weekly paid in cash. What on earth diffierence does their method of payment make to how they should conduct themselves in their job?

For what it's worth, I think that if there are jobs to be done they should be done by a TA rather than a teacher if it means taking one or the other away from pupil contact.

20. Msz

Some TAs are paid by the hour (and fill in time sheets) maizie, and many are paid minimum wage -ours have an annual salary divided into 12 equal monthly payments