1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Well golly gosh! Cosmetic companies tell lies in advertisements!! I would never have suspected.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by nomad, Jul 28, 2015.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Sorry - wrong forum!

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'd like to thank you, Nomad, for posting this here, because I'm avoiding posting on Opinion and am missing my 'foot of our stairs' moments.

3. Clive_Candy

Clive_Candy Occasional commenter

I too, Nomad, because this forum is moribund around this time of year and we need to make sure it doesn't seize up before it's needed again at the end of September.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

So to continue this Wrong Forum thread . . .

I suspect that the advertisements scrutinised were in US publications. EU regulations - or even EU legislation - do not allow false claims.

So we are fine to believe the cosmetic company advertisements here on this side of the Atlantic.

[​IMG]

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Possibly, Theo. Cosmetics wouldn't work on me anyhow. I've got a face like a saddlebag with eyes.

6. Lucy12

Lucy12 New commenter

Is that why UK TV cosmetics ads always have statements like '4 out of 5 women questioned said our cream reduced their wrinkles'? So the makers can say they aren't making any claims themselves for whether the product reduces wrinkles, they're just reporting what users say?

What's a foot on the stairs moment?

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'll go to the foot of our stairs is a Northerner expression, showing surprise. Although used ironically nowadays in many cases.

Its use has been popularised on TES Forums by Middlemarch et al. [​IMG]

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=I%27ll+go+to+the+foot+of+our+stairs

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

8. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Embrace your saddle bag face Nomad? and get your eyes checked regularly to maintain their health :p

9. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Hmmm...saddlebags...

Soft, warm, mellow, aged attractively through experience and wisdom.

Nomad - get yer coat, you've pulled [​IMG]

10. Middlemarch

Nomad protesteth too much. He's a good-looking dude!

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Definitely pulled Val then!

Best wishes

12. Just curious as to why you are avoiding opinion?

13. Middlemarch

Because I don't like some of the people who post on there, specifically the ones who regularly re-incarnate with new names and then post the same old reactionary squawk. It's easier on my psyche if I avoid it all together.

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter