1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Well done those MPs

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ilovesooty, Jan 8, 2019.

1. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Well........not quite.....but an interesting result.

3. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

Hmmm - so any chance that TM had to get the EU to backtrack on the backstop - probably infinitesimal before, but totally zilch now - why should they because the ultimate threat no longer exists.

What about all the money that has been spent on preparing for this: the fridges bought to stockpile medicines, the (secret) massive navy ship building programme ready to control our waters in April???

More and more we are heading for stalemate, an extension to article 50 granted by the EU if - via secret back channels - we promise to run the referendum again.

Plus, next time the Remain camp don't make the mistakes they made in 2016 (as shown on Channel 4 last night) the 18-30 year olds don't stay at home thinking it's a foregone conclusion and viola, Brexit is cancelled.

If this transpires I would argue that anyone who still favours Brexit boycotts the 'peoples vote' (sticking fingers in mouth as I type that). It could be 100% Remain vs 0% Leave for all I care, here is the slogan too: "Just don't bother".

The MPs need to know that they act on behalf of the people, they seem to have forgotten that.

woollani and peter12171 like this.
  4. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

By blocking a no-deal Brexit possibility they ARE acting on behalf of the people.

towncryer, ilovesooty and mathsmutt like this.
  5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

As each day passes, the government gets to look sillier and sillier. This mess is all about the Tory party and very little to do with the EU.

Sooner or later, the Tories will need to call a halt to it, or face thirty or more years in the wilderness, while they try to make themselves electable again. With a bit of luck, they never will, instead becoming over time, a distant memory like living with rickets or smallpox, the Nazis and Pol Pot.

In all my lifetime, I've never seen a government in such disarray, or so inept. The saddest thing about the Tories, is that they don't seem to comprehend that if they hadn't been such absolute b.astards to the poor, the electorate would probably have gone along with Cameron and Osborne's advice to vote remain.

The Tories deserve everything they get if the excrement hits the fan and we have to ensure it's pointing their way.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So they are trying to stop the government preparing for the worst case scenario while doing nothing to ensure that doesn't happen (I.e. voting for may's terrible deal).

Well that seems dumb. And people think this is good? Yet if we leave with no deal then they'll demand to know why the government wasn't prepared for the worst, forgetting this.

Sounds about as mad as i'd expect.

Photo51, woollani and peter12171 like this.
  7. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Meanwhile, companies are preparing for a No Deal Brexit - by re-locating out of the country, especially City of London finance companies. Brexit is smashing our national prosperity. What was built up over decades is coming down in a matter of a few months.

monicabilongame likes this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Finally last night - a sign that parliament is thinking about acting in the national interest.

What a shame we haven't got that from May.

After the vote next week - hopefully she will become irrelevant

One can but hope.

monicabilongame and towncryer like this.
  9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

But they haven't blocked a no-deal possibility.

It remains the case that the UK leaves the EU on the 29th March with no deal unless MPs decide on something different.

Trying to prevent the government from choosing "no deal" (something they are unlikely to do anyway) doesn't alter the fact that parliament has to decide on something else to avoid leaving with no deal. If they don't, no deal remains inevitable.

Photo51 and woollani like this.
  10. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

Equally, if a no deal was imminent (i.e. we had got to March and it was clear that this was going to happen) I am sure Parliament would approve any necessary spending for preparation. Most people are expecting there to be carnage if we have a no deal Brexit. The Labour party would be very stupid to give the Conservatives an excuse in such a situation - "We would have been prepared for X, Y and Z but the Labour party blocked us in Parliament from carrying out the necessary measures!"

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There's no time to prepare for a no deal - too much time has been wasted.

A no deal will induce panic and real economic damage - one would hope that our MPs find a way to stop that happening.

12. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

The EU deal or Remain are their only choices. The second is difficult as opposition MPs can't make it happen.

13. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Yep - even arch Brexiteer My Lord (soon as Daddy pops his clogs) Rees Mogg's Somerset Capital Management company has now opened an office in Dublin.

14. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Although opening a desk in Dublin or Paris is not the same as re-locating. Far from it, in fact.

15. Photo51

An extra expense for the company since they currently do that business in London

16. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Maybe the extra expense will be more than outweighed by the future benefits of being still located within the EU?

There must be SOME reason for them to do this.......

17. Photo51

The reason is that some of the EU/Euro business currently conducted in the UK has to take place in the EU. Post Brexit it will be done in Ireland to ensure compliance.
    Many City businesses have opened front offices in EU27 countries Low tax Luxembourg is popular.

18. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Ah - so I was right.
    The benefits for JRM's company will outweigh the expense.
    What a pity we're leaving the EU - his company could have saved that money.

Oh, wait.....

19. Photo51

It still reduces net profit.
    It's not rocket science. All financial services companies are well prepared; however it will reduce the bottom line

20. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter