1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Well done, Stormzy

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Vince_Ulam, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

An accomplished hard worker promoting hard work in a population of which too many people both within and without it expect too little.

Stormzy launches Cambridge scholarship for black students

'[Stormzy] didn't go to university, but did get six A*s, three As and three Bs at GCSE.

In 2016, when he was a guest speaker at the Oxford University Guild, Stormzy said: "It was my dream to come to Oxford and study political science.
    '
    BBC.co.uk, 16th August 2018.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    install likes this.
  2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

To be eligible the student must already have an offer from Cambridge. So he won't be increasing the number of BAME students there, just subsidising one who would have gone anyway.

nomad likes this.
  3. Vince_Ulam

We can expect it to increase the number of people from this population who aspire to attend Cambridge in particular and other universities in general.

Jamvic likes this.
  4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

ER... but he didn't!

5. Vince_Ulam

Not everyone can be a Stormzy.

6. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

But it means that those who might not have applied because of financial concerns may well now do so.

Jamvic and phlogiston like this.
  7. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

1. I have to give respect to him for putting his money where his mouth is and doing something to encourage students to apply to Oxford and Cambridge.
    2. Whilst he has not attended yet, it is entirely possible that post music career (I give three albums before he stops being on trend) he will go - lets face it, both Oxford and Cambridge would be delighted to have him if only for the publicity.

8. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

9. SomethingWicked

SomethingWicked Occasional commenter

Not unlike Dr. Brian May, guitarist for Queen who then went on to complete a PhD in astrophysics.

monicabilongame and agathamorse like this.
  10. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

All credit to him, but (and I know this doesn't fit in with the current inclusivity agenda) what about the working class white children who have the ability to go to a top university but can't afford it?

There under-representation of BAME students, and this might lessen that. There is also under-representation of working class white students.

11. Vince_Ulam

Very early in his career, too. From casual observation I think that the wealthy do not get philanthropic until they are at least middle-aged. Nor is Stormzy particularly wealthy as philanthropists go. He's no Bill Gates.

Jamvic likes this.
  12. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

But Brian also attended an academic boys’ school in London. He had the help at the start.

13. install

install Star commenter

Well done Stormzy. Cambridge Uni asked for help to be more diverse.And you are helping them and society see that students of all ethnicities can apply there - even if they are under represented. A step forward in equality