1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Well done Sajid Javid...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mr_Ed, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Established commenter

Just read this (about grooming gangs) in the Guardian:

'Speaking to BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, Javid said stripping offenders of British citizenship would happen only in extreme cases involving individuals with dual nationality.

He was pressed on the issue by the programme’s guest editor, the Pakistani-British writer Kamila Shamsie, who pointed out that the lack of sex registers in Pakistan would make it easier for sex offenders deported from the UK to repeat their crimes.

Javid responded: “I’m the British home secretary. My job is to protect the British public.”'

I like that last bit, very Trumpish (to put Britain 1st?) I wonder if he is manouvering for a leadership bid?

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

We will judge him and other politicians on what they accomplish, not on knowing their job descriptions and their media performance.

towncryer and Scintillant like this.
  3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I wish that were true.
    But in this day and age, too many judge politicians on what they say, their soundbites and warcries. It doesn't seem to matter anymore that they don't do what they say or even if what they say is demonstrably false.

towncryer and bombaysapphire like this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The days when I believed everything was bright and rosy because a politician said something are long past.

needabreak likes this.
  5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

As I believe is their right. We cannot hold ourselves up as a democracy if we then in turn broadly assume and declare that those who don't do as we would like (or as we do) in the ballot box are ill informed, ignorant, incompetent or simply stupid can we?

peter12171 likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Why not?* Some people have spent two yearsdoing that about Brexit.. ..

* rhetorical

7. needabreak

I've ammended that quote slightly. In answer to your question just because it's been done does not make it right does it?

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You'd need to ask the people doing it. I've made my feelings on the matter clear enough.

9. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

Not that Trumpish, still playing the politics game and hedging his bets because he also said: "When it comes to gang-based child exploitation it is self-evident to anyone who cares to look that if you look at all the recent high-profile cases there is a high proportion of men that are of Pakistani heritage.”

He added: “There could be – and I’m not saying there are – some cultural reasons from the community that those men came from, that could lead to this type of behaviour..."

10. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

We shouldn't ask people to give us their opinion on complex matters they do not understand remotely well, or are not willing to try and understand.

The evidence of the ensuing debacle bears that out.

needabreak likes this.
  11. needabreak

The same is done after the GE, surely you aren't proposing a totalitarian regime.

12. Scintillant

I don't think I've proposed a totalitarian regime in my post, have I?

GEs are an accepted system of governing. Referenda on complex issues are a bad idea in my opinion, and like I say, the evidence seems to bear that out.

needabreak likes this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Like how to govern a country ... in every election?

Best to trust it to an elite yeah?

Then again you don't vote so what do you care.

needabreak likes this.
  14. needabreak

Pretty much my thoughts, well except I didn't realise they don't actually vote.

15. Scintillant

General elections are a recognised form of democracy, where people vote according to the broad type of government they wish to see. You know what you will get. Manifestos are produced and largely held to. They give a very good indication of the subsequent government's direction of travel.

One-off referenda pertaining to highly complex issues are much less suited to such a form of democracy. Look at the huge amount of knowledge we now have compared to before the referendum.

Unless you consider the Brexit referendum to have been a roaring success of course...

I haven't voted for a very long time as I have not had a party I would vote for standing. I cannot see any point whatsoever in lending my support to parties with policies that I consider will damage those most in need.

I will vote for a Corbyn-led Labour party at the next GE though.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  16. Vince_Ulam

'We' is exclusive of idiots.

17. Scintillant

"They" has a name.

You seem to be avoiding the evidence backing up my point in spades - the colossal cluster**** we are now in the middle of.

18. needabreak

A good example of my previous point, thanks. I realise now why those with different views are so polarised and don't join together to look for a new way forward in the interest of the country... It's pointless trying to understand a point of view fronted by verbally abuse of people who aren't automatically on board, it goes some way to explain those struggling to find the middle ground feeling alienated while polar opposites increasingly get nowhere, while mud slinging becomes the preoccupation and norm... Politics eh? No wonder some folk don't bother to vote while others dogmatically pursue their political dogma, *and I mean on both sides!

lanokia likes this.
  19. needabreak

Was avoiding gender stereotypes or having to go back and think about how to spell Scintillant.

20. Vince_Ulam

You will need to be precise.