1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Well done, Renfrewshire primary teachers....

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by seren_dipity, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Congratulations! 75% return on the indicative ballot is outstanding - 95% in support of "the principle of industrial action" in response to the ridiculous notion of 10% of the curriculum being handed over to unqualified sessional workers.
    Hopefully tomorrow's rally at the town hall will be well attended too.

"1. 97% of Renfrewshire primary school teachers responding in the
    Indicative Ballot rejected the Council’s proposals and support the
    principal of industrial action in protest to the teaching hours cut

2. Turnout in the postal ballot was high – approximately 75% of those
    eligible to vote in the indicative industrial action ballot returned
    their ballot papers.

3. A formal industrial action ballot would require to be held before a programme of industrial action could be implemented.

4. A joint rally against the Council’s proposals, organised by the EIS
    and the Renfrewshire Parent Council Forum will be held this Saturday, 19
    February, from 11am at Paisley Town Hall. A very large turnout from
    parents and teachers is anticipated."
    http://www.eis.org.uk/news/renfrewshire_ballot_17feb.htm

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Congratulations! 75% return on the indicative ballot is outstanding - 95% in support of "the principle of industrial action" in response to the ridiculous notion of 10% of the curriculum being handed over to unqualified sessional workers.
    Hopefully tomorrow's rally at the town hall will be well attended too.

"1. 97% of Renfrewshire primary school teachers responding in the
    Indicative Ballot rejected the Council’s proposals and support the
    principal of industrial action in protest to the teaching hours cut

2. Turnout in the postal ballot was high – approximately 75% of those
    eligible to vote in the indicative industrial action ballot returned
    their ballot papers.

3. A formal industrial action ballot would require to be held before a programme of industrial action could be implemented.

4. A joint rally against the Council’s proposals, organised by the EIS
    and the Renfrewshire Parent Council Forum will be held this Saturday, 19
    February, from 11am at Paisley Town Hall. A very large turnout from
    parents and teachers is anticipated."
    http://www.eis.org.uk/news/renfrewshire_ballot_17feb.htm

3. That sends a very strong message - good,

4. Let's hope the power that be take notice. I wont hold my breath...

5. looking fwd to the rally tomorrow[​IMG]
    have just expressed my views to the SNP party via this consultation page. i only completed the part about local issues to express my views about renfrewshire's proposals and fired it off. here's the link

http://bepartofbetter.net/questions.show
    Let them hear your voice loud and clear [​IMG]

6. interesting conversation between @IrmaTharn and @GeorgeAdam

(SNP Councillor for Paisley South Ward and Paisley's Candidate for Scottish Parliament.) on twitter last night :
    @GeorgeAdam After a busy Renfrewshire Budget day I am now at my surgery
    in Glenburn Community Centre.George happily serving good people of
    Paisley.

@IrmaTharn to @GeorgeAdam If any of those good people ask
    why their children will be losing 2.5 hours of teaching per week , your
    response will
    be…?

GeorgeAdam my answer would be... currently teachers spend
    22.5 hrs in front of class, teaching & new proposal would mean
    still 22.5 hrs

@IrmaTharn to @GeorgeAdam currently children spend 25 hours in front of a teacher. Under renfrewshire proposals, they will spend 22.5 hours with a teacher

GeorgeAdam inaccurate

@IrmaTharn to @GeorgeAdam In what way is my response in accurate ?

George
    Adam I refer 2 my 1st tweet...currently teachers spend 22.5 hrs in
    front of class, teaching & new proposal would mean still 22.5 hrs.

@IrmaTharn to @GeorgeAdam so you have no interest in the pupils' experience - ie 2.5 hours less teaching per week?

@George Adam there will not be less teaching hrs per week as teachers
    currently teach 22.5 hrs.I care about Renfrewshire education.Do you???

@IrmaTharn to @GeorgeAdam i care about all childrens' education. Proposals will leave renfrewshire pupils with less teaching than the rest of scotland.

@GeorgeAdam again you are in accurate. Can you please check all the other (31) authorities first.You'll be surprised.

@IrmaTharn to @GeorgeAdam I think you need to check your facts. currently the whole 25hr
    pupil week is delivered by GTC registered teachers.

@IrmaTharn to @GeorgeAdam Is someone misleading you regarding current teaching provision in primary schools? It would appear so.

@GeorgeAdam
    I could say the same of you! Or is something else motivating you? It is
    a valid question.My motivation is education.

@IrmaTharn to
    @GeorgeAdam You cannot make an educational argument for reducing pupils'
    time with a registered teacher by 2.5 hours per week - can you ?

@GeorgeAdam
    I believe I have... but you refuse to agree. Which is all part of a
    healthy democracy.With all due respect I do not think we will agree on
    this issue

@IrmaTharn - we will certainly disagree. You have not made an
    educational argument- merely disputed the reality of current provision
    of primary education

@IrmaTharn to @GeorgeAdam it could be suggested that the motivation behind the proposal is purely financial. Is this not a factor ?

@GeorgeAdam the answer would be both Yes... and no.There is much to be gained from an educational part of the proposal.

@IrmaTharn to @GeorgeAdam Could you elaborate on those gains?

At
    this point Mr Adams stopped tweeting and @IrmaTharn resumed following Gok Wan
    who was looking forward to being on food heaven/food hell . Who
    knew ? [​IMG]

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The ignorance of councillors with regard to the length of time primary pupils spend with a teacher in front of them is far from astounding. Their refusal to acknowledge the correct information is even less so.
    It's a pity it's not the council elections in May.

8. The person above seems to be standing in the national ones. Anyone in his constituency like to get that conversation repeated somewhere more public?

9. That would be good !

10. A classic politician. He repeatedly ducks the question, choosing instead to launch a blatant personal attack on the questioner..
    If this clown and his ilk are elected, Renfrewshire gets what they deserve.
    As do we all.

11. braemar

braemar New commenter

Has something happened to the be part of better website. It appears to be 'down'. Wonder if there are any specific reasons for this? ;)

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The rally got a cracking turnout - hall full to capacity (no standing allowed) and another 300 or so outside despite miserable weather.
    Great speeches, with special mention for the Parent Forum Chair, Stephen Wright.
    I do enjoy a good rally or demo. [​IMG]

13. My son and his wife attended the rally. I am with him now and we have read with interest the comments of local Councillor George Adam who clearly does not understand the proposals in question, or how teaching is delivered in Scottish Primary Schools.

It would be interesting in fact if this thread was printed out and sent to the Paisley Daily Express and the Daily Record.

Maybe it has been already who knows.

14. Fantastic rally today. Managed to get a seat inside and was inspired by all speakers. After the 100 or so at the budget meeting on Thursday, the EIS ballot result on Friday and now the rally today surely Mr Naylor and co should hopefully have got the message!!!

15. It was an impressive show of parent/teacher unity and determination.

16. @
    @lisalovely79 this will not be the case. I can assure you of that.All academic teaching will not be squashed into any part if a school week.

I thought his reply above was very interesting.....

I have asked him what exactly constitutes academic teaching in the primary school and what doesn't

17. God! Sorry, don't know why I can not get paragraphs to work!! The quote from twitter ends with "school week" and my comments started with "I thought". Sorry for any confusion!

18. GeorgeAdam
    George Adam

@

@IrmaTharn
    ... The council & education dept would have to look for other
    savings/cuts.That would mean school closures & teacher job losses.. so now the blackmail of cuts v jobs !

19. I am making a complete mess of this!!
    This is the quote from the councillor I meant to highlight and thge one I have asked him to clarify!
    @lisalovely79 that would remain. All academic teaching will be covered by a qualified teacher.

Academic teaching obviously does not include posting on here!!

20. Councillor's don't seem to understand that at present the entire 25 hour primary week is delivered by a GTC registered qualified teacher, even the NCCT in the week is still delivered by a teacher.

The council's proposals are clearly bringing in the long term unemployed to the school, who will be given some training, but will not ever be qualified teachers.

Therefore, for George Adam and his friends at the council to claim this obscene idea of bringing these new staff in still keeps the council right with the law of teaching hours in the week is a complete farce.

They all need to sit down and think about what is going on and if they actually have the sense to understand it.

It's a fairly simple idea in principle, that Councillor's don't seem to grasp, and nobody at Renfrewshire Council seems to understand why parents and teachers are furious and disgusted.

Glad I'm out of it.