1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Well done NHS....not!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Jan 18, 2016.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

So the NHS is going to charge extra for high sugar drinks and snacks in its vending machines in hospitals. A sugar tax to help with the obesity crisis. Hmmm......................why not just remove the machines or just stock with low sugar, healthier options? I mean, you are the NHS so you know this isn't rocket science..................or would you rather rinse your patients and collect all the extra money?
    Answers on a postcard please?
    No wonder the health service is such a mess!

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I know! SOOOOOO stupid.

They should be opening KFCs and raking 10% off the top. It's a captive market when you're waiting to see the consultant (fnar, junior doctor) as an out-patient. They could double the standard price! Call themselves business people! Ha. Sack the marketing team.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  3. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

Presumably the target of this levy are nhs employees. The general population spends a miniscule proportion of their lives consuming food and drink purchased on nhs premises.

lilachardy likes this.
  4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I don't care who it's targeted at it's a stupid idea to sell unhealthy products in a hospital. What next? Wine and fags?
    FWIW my daughter had worked in the NHS and is currently a student midwife and she tells me staff do not use these as a rule, they go to the staff canteen where prices for decent food are far more affordable.
    These machines tend to be in A&E and in the foyers of hospitals where patient access is easy.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  5. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

The products sold there will still have the levy.

6. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

When my school went 'academy' one of the many money-making wheezes adopted by the new management was to install vending machines for the students to use. Even our rhinoceros-hided SMT back-tracked when one dispensing chocolate bars and fizzy drinks was placed outside the entrance to the boys' gym!.

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

That's only if they have time to take a lunch break which my husband rarely does. Maybe they just grab something from the machine in passing.

8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I thought that fizzy drink and chocolate vending machines were banned from schools a long time ago. It's over five years since I left the secondary school I was in and the only vending machines there had bottles of water.

James Martin did a series of programmes about hospital food, including food for staff. I would imagine that it was very much like Jamie Oliver's school crusade. Everyone thought that healthy eating is a good idea, the patients and staff enjoyed it and there was less waste and more cost efficiency. But, time constraints, ease of cooking etc often put paid to the longer term gain of improved nutrition.

It's mad for the NHS to allow sweets and chocolate in their hospitals, although my friend, who has had fairly frequent stays in hospital, speaks of the chocolate tray coming round.

BelleDuJour and grumpydogwoman like this.
  9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I've been racking my brains trying to think if there are any of these vending machines in my local hospital, I can't actually remember seeing any but maybe that's because I wasn't looking for one. There is a shop and a cafeteria in the foyer (which definitely is used by staff) and also a take-away Costa but I can't visualise any vending machines - possibly because there was once a fire said to be caused by one over-heating.

10. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I am guessing that the vending machines and other dispensers in hospitals are provided by manufacturers and are not in the direct control of NHS. I am guessing that the NHS gets a rake off from the machines, but that they do not own them, and may be tied into rather long "lease" arrangements, like the ripoff system for new builds (same as schools, is it called PFI). Hence, without government intervention, this may be all they can do because of "contracts". So without the government actually legislating, which they won't, there is not much they can do.

11. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Quite frankly I think it's no dafter and no more outrageous than to have the same money making machines in schools.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I would like the chance for a bar of chocolate in hospital after feeling that I was hosting an alien during colonoscopy. At least I was able to break my fast on toast with jam.

13. grumpydogwoman

Good point @jacob Very good point.

It'll be the PFI contract. The hospitals don't own the building. Heck, they can't even change their own light-bulbs!

It'll be out of their hands. Sorry, NHS!

14. grumpydogwoman

In a speech to 5,000 NHS leaders in Manchester, Mr Stevens will say: “It’s time for PFI (private finance initiative) contractors and catering firms to 'smell the coffee' - ditch junk food from hospitals and serve up affordable and healthy options instead.” (Chief Exec. NHS 2015)

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Sometimes the naughty option is a healthy one.

16. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Just inside the entrance to a hospital I visited frequently during 2013, there is a shop, selling the goods that you would find in a supermarket, although obviously a limited stock. Chocolate and sweets featured quite heavily.

17. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

At our local big hospital, there is a market stall selling fruit and veg right beside the entrance. there's a Smiths inside selling the usual stuff plus other useful bits and pieces. I honestly can't remember seeing a vending machine.

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

There is always a vending machine in Holby City.

19. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

There's one in Weatherfield General too. I think they are there specially so that disaffected soap characters can vent their anger by banging the ***** out of the machines when they don't work.

20. grumpydogwoman