1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Well done FA.......shame it is....

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by mountaingoats, May 30, 2012.

1. ..........20 years too late. It has been obvious for as long as I can remember that kids need small pitches, small goals and small balls.
    Finally they re going to do something about it!!!!

2. ..........20 years too late. It has been obvious for as long as I can remember that kids need small pitches, small goals and small balls.
    Finally they re going to do something about it!!!!

3. peggaldinho

peggaldinho New commenter

Completely agree. I have worked and coached numerous age groups of children from 5 year olds to 18 year olds and my coaching philosophy is exactly this!!
    I currently work in a primary school as a Sports Coach/TA and run the school football team and also coach a local under 7's team. Everything i do with them is done using size 3 balls. The aims of each of my sessions, is to get the children with a ball at their feet working on ball manipulation, possession in small games and improving their spatial awareness.
    During matches i try and preach for them to play from the back (GK out to defenders) and to not be afraid to pass in all areas of the pitch. Although they may give the ball away on some occassions, i try to look at the positives and encourage that they are trying to play this style of football instead of the get the ball forward as quickly as possible mentality.
    My theroy is that if they adopt this way of playing now at the age of 9-10 with mixed success by the time they get to 14-15, everything will start falling into place and they will be much more technically and tactically better players.
    I am not claiming to be the next Pep Guardiola but i am glad the FA is looking at addressing football at a grassroots level.

4. momentofclarity

momentofclarity New commenter

Just got through reading some of the publications and the FA PowerPoint with all the changes, some solid and necessary changes coming that should put a light at the end of the tunnel for English Football.

What I can't see is anything specific to changes at the school competition level, do you think school associations will follow, or keep with the tried and failed models?

The other thing I find confusing is the attitude from some of the local associations threatening to leave the FA as a result of the changes. Is it ignorance about the state of English Football, or just genuine lack of understanding of what young athletes need to develop?

It's about time this was highlighted and brought to everyone's attention as a priority. Almost wish I was still living in the UK to coach at the beginning of these changes...almost.

MoC

5. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

I don't really see what the difference between what's being suggested now and what they sent out in 2005.
    Maybe I'm missing something? (Apart from a brain etc before anyone else suggests it)

6. I havent looked at the detail, just listened to 5 live....!
    But, if they are forcing age groups to play small sided games, then its a good thing.

7. momentofclarity

http://www.thefa.com/leagues/~/media/Files/PDF/Leagues/Your%20Kids%20Your%20Say/FA%20Youth%20Development%20Proposals%20-%20Final%20Recommendations%20v3%20-%20Distribution%20Copy-new.ashx

The general outline is that to be affiliated with the FA all local associations will have to comply with these new regulations, there does not seem to be an opt out, exemption or loop-hole. The biggest change is a major shift in attitude towards the competitiveness of the games, the amount of games (reduced seasons) and player numbers. It is a decent model, but not sure it really goes far enough to catch England up within 10 years. The biggest benefit will be from the players starting this year at Under 6 level, who grow up with this as the fundamental philosophy. It would be interesting to hear the FA come straight out and say they are willing to accept whatever level of international/domestic success is possible in the next 10-15 years, but don't really expect to be competitive until then.

Necessary and positive changes.

MoC

8. momentofclarity

Boo Hiss Google Chrome. C & P the link to get the PowerPoint that the FA delivered with the changes highlighted.

9. My only worry is that parents, and perhaps coaches, will find it very hard to change their attitudes so that winning at all costs is no longer the default position.