1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Well cheers then!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mrsmumbles, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Logged in to TES and a pop up leaps up. Says TES has some grrrrreat job matches for me! So, sceptically, I clicked.
    All the first page were two counties out. And the jobs were for sanitary technicians and learning support IT technicians.
    I have 20+ years of teaching experience, a BA, MA and a PGCE.
    Cheers then!

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Nothing about Russian girls who want to marry you or penis enlargements then?

;)

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Doesn't surprise me. Try using any job site and specify within 10 miles of your postcode and you still get jobs from Truro, Tring and Tripoli.

4. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I'm a retired primary teacher who did eng lit at university. Why, then, was I not thrilled to be offered a head of science post recently?

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I am retired too. One suggestion for me today is that I take on a job as Modern Foreign Languages tutor for Polish and German, two languages of which I know nothing!

I speak Bahasa Indonesia and some Arabic but no - nothing doing there!

6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I thought I'd click on it out of curiosity. Somehow it knows to show me "science" but five jobs all in London, one of which is a technician, and as far as I am aware I have never filled anything in. I'm retired too (for three years) and live in North Wales. It must be that IDS bloke (sounds like a disease) on his pension bandwagon again. I never was a "science" teacher, and chemistry is the worst of them for me.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Tongue tripping 'Ts'!

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I was too lazy to consult a map of the U.K. and find a good cluster of Tralees.

9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Well, if they're really desperate.….

nizebaby likes this.
  10. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

It's good to see that alitter….alitar...allitter….. using the same letter sounds in successive words is still alive and well in these forums!!

11. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

English teacher, are ya?:eek:

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It sounds like you're seeing the same jobs as I am, I'm not so far away but far enough to not consider it in a month of Sundays. Perhaps they think London is so attractive people will be more than happy to move there.

They probably sell the advertising as "Guaranteed to reach xyz qualified candidates per day!" or similar, so the slightest hint in your profile details and up come the ads.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  13. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

The worst is the government job website, nothing but agencies advertising false jobs to get you on their books. Filter is useless. God help anyone relying on them.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  14. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

I’m looking for a job in the Peterborough area but am receiving ads for St Petersburg, China and Croatia.

15. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Its as accurate and geographically challenged as online dating then.

16. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

But don't schools only want cheap, badly qualified people who won't question their inexperienced SMT? When I started teaching, things were different, but many things I read on here suggest that well-qualifed, experienced staff aren't necessarily preferred...

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  17. Mrsmumbles

Er...no. but I do get quite a few plop ups for classroom management these days. Hmmmm...

18. Mrsmumbles

Well...you should be! How dare we be underwhelmed by the droidbot career services!!

19. Mrsmumbles

Maybe they want you to enlarge your academic range!

20. Mrsmumbles

I loved Grumpy's alliterative flourish. Ah, alliteration. And consonance. Love "em. Cooler than a cubed cold cucumber.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019