1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Well being & weightloss during term time...Drastic measures needed!!!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by mrsmacbeth, Aug 8, 2012.

1. mrsmacbeth

mrsmacbeth New commenter

Hi,
    Today I have weighed myself and I am 14 stone, 10.8 lbs. ARGH!!! I am a big fat heffa!!! This is seriously awful and I need to do something about it. AND I know I have lost weight recently because some of my clothes are bigger so god only know what I weighed before that.....
    Before I started at my current school I weighed around 11stone, went to the gym every day (I was working as a a supply teacher - or chosing not to work if it was sunny...no money but happy days!) and then I got this job, moved in with my boyfriend and now I am stressed all the time (due to work), eating because I am tired / bored / had a yuk day etc. and its all kind of gone pear shaped.
    Because I am so tired (I work in a tough school, love the kids but its v.v.v. tiring!) I find it really hard to concentrate at work after school and with only 45mins for lunch when I try and do marking / get jobs done so I dont have to after school etc. I just feel I am never on top of anything and therefore tend to work a lot at weekends and I am stressy, tired and fed up which isnt a good combination! Boyfriend is never home at the same time, so I end up cooking dinner whilst nibbling food and then eat dinner when he comes home even though I am not v. hungry any more!
    So my question is... how on earth do people manage their work life balance and weight during term time? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I cant carry on this way - its going to cause health problems (if it isnt already)
    Thanks xx

2. mrsmacbeth

mrsmacbeth New commenter

Hi,
    Today I have weighed myself and I am 14 stone, 10.8 lbs. ARGH!!! I am a big fat heffa!!! This is seriously awful and I need to do something about it. AND I know I have lost weight recently because some of my clothes are bigger so god only know what I weighed before that.....
    Before I started at my current school I weighed around 11stone, went to the gym every day (I was working as a a supply teacher - or chosing not to work if it was sunny...no money but happy days!) and then I got this job, moved in with my boyfriend and now I am stressed all the time (due to work), eating because I am tired / bored / had a yuk day etc. and its all kind of gone pear shaped.
    Because I am so tired (I work in a tough school, love the kids but its v.v.v. tiring!) I find it really hard to concentrate at work after school and with only 45mins for lunch when I try and do marking / get jobs done so I dont have to after school etc. I just feel I am never on top of anything and therefore tend to work a lot at weekends and I am stressy, tired and fed up which isnt a good combination! Boyfriend is never home at the same time, so I end up cooking dinner whilst nibbling food and then eat dinner when he comes home even though I am not v. hungry any more!
    So my question is... how on earth do people manage their work life balance and weight during term time? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I cant carry on this way - its going to cause health problems (if it isnt already)
    Thanks xx

3. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Being overweight is pants, isn't it?
    I've been on Atkins now for a couple of weeks. I've lost almost one stone. I had a couple of blip days when I was away from home so not able to stick with the diet or else I'd have lost more weight. Atkins is a great way to kick start weight loss. It's very restrictive for a couple of weeks but I think it's worth it. Gradually you re-introduce pretty much all foods and you can "live your life the Atkins way" so long as you don't restrict yourself. I used it a few years ago and lost four stone which I kept off for about two years until I started eating chocolate which was my downfall.
    When you go back to school, you need to get yourself well organised where you eating is concerned as well as your work. Make yourself a timetable for when you're going to do your marking/planning/etc at home and stick with it.
    Plan your meals for the week. It doesn't matter if you always have beans on toast on a Monday and chilli on Friday but, whatever you plan, stick with it. Make meals that you can eat when you are ready and you boyfriend can eat when he gets home. Get him to do the same. I presume he does some cooking too? Only buy food that you need to accommodate your meals for the week and don't have unhealthy snacks. Get fruit and veg that you can snack on. If it's not there, you can't eat it.
    Make yourself a packed lunch and make sure that you spend at least 20 minutes eating it and relaxing before getting back to work. Take your morning break too and have a big glass of water - not coffee or tea. Water fills you up and doesn't mess with your metabolism.
    Start every day with one or two glasses of water and then EAT BREAKFAST whether you want to or not. Even if it's just a tomato and some cheese or a scrambled egg. Eat something. Do try to cut down on coffee and tea if you are like me and can only drink them if they are accompanied by a packet of biscuits.
    If you enjoyed going to the gym before, why don't you go now? I'm sure you could set aside a couple of hours, twice a week for this. Many gyms open early in the morning. Put it in your timetable and stick with it! On the other days, go for a walk for half an hour or so. The exercise and fresh air will really help to relax you and will also help with the weight problem. Exercising actually helps to build your energy and reduce your tiredness - no idea why but it does.
    I hope some of these ideas help you to feel better about yourself. I might even take my own advice![​IMG]

4. mrsmacbeth

mrsmacbeth New commenter

It is seriously pants!!
    Thanks for all your advice - I think the preparing meals would help. It tends to be a "oh god, I have to cook dinner. What do I have in the cupboards?? That will do..." I tend to do the cooking as I am home first, most of the time anyway. Think portion sizes need to change as well - I dont need to eat the same amount as an over 6ft bloke (who worringly probably weighs less than I do...)
    Dont know anything about Atkins other than when it first came out and everyone went a mental about it all and stopped eating anything green / fruit and veg like. Will have to do some investigating.
    Have just watched the Horizon programme on fasting and wondering about giving it a go. 2/3 days a week eating 400/500 calories is do able as its not cutting out anything on your non fast days. As soon as I 'cant' eat something, it all goes out the window. I really need to get a grip!
    Timetabling everything in is going to have to be the way forward and letting other people know that is what I am doing (I am VERY easily distracted if people come and talk to me after school so I will have to learn to nicely say to them to go away and leave me alone so I can get stuff done). But I know I cant carry on the way I have this year otherwise I will end up ill and probably in some corner rocking!!
    Thanks v. much for your help!!

5. dozymare1957

For the first two or three weeks of Atkins I eat cheese, eggs or salad for breakfast or a combination. You can have mayonaise. Lunch is either salad and cold meat or bacon with mushrooms and tomatoes (must be fried in real butter) and dinner is any meat with salad or vegetables. The weight will literally drop off you. You can weigh every day and will see a difference if you want to. After two or three weeks you introduce something new like strawberries (and you can have them with cream) and then raspberries. Each new thing that you introduce adds to your carbohydrate level a day. If you stop losing weight when you add something new, cut it out of the diet and add a different new item. Avoid the one that caused the cessation of weight loss.
    No root veg, potatoes, bread, pasta, pulses, fruit, milk (you can have cream).
    Oh, you can have lemon if you want!
    I gave up tea and coffee so immediately cut down on about 8 spoonfuls of sugar a day in coffee. You need to limit your caffeine and I don't like black tea of coffee and you can't have milk.
    I actually really like drinking water but I never used to. I don't drink alcohol but if you do, cutting that out will help a lot. You'll feel better for it and may never go back! You do need to drink lots of water and I mean lots or else your mouth gets an unpleasant taste and your breath gets a little stale. I chew Extra gum which is strictly against the rules but it helps with the mouth taste and breath smell!
    Having written this, I've just found this link
    http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase-1/How-to-Do-Induction-Right.aspx

Good luck. Keep posting

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I can recommend Weightwatchers. It has changed over the last year or two and is designed to encourage you to make healthy choices.
    I paid for the online tracker and attended meetings and I would recommend doing both. The online tracker is easy to use and you can set up your own recipes on it so you can still eat normal favourites.
    I lost 4 stone 11 pounds in 9 months on it. I didn't have to cut out any food. I ate a lot more fruit and veg because most types have 0 points. I also carried on eating out - I earned extra points by exercising and used those at weekends, plus you have a weekly extra 49 points for treats.

7. mrsmacbeth

mrsmacbeth New commenter

Thank you so much for that! Have had a good read but Im not sure about the butter / cream etc. not overly keen on those, but its not like it is compulsary!! Its a mixture of portion control with upping the salad etc. and cutting down carbs. When I went travelling I didnt eat bread in the same amount as I do here and I lost loads of weight (but then I was doing a lot of walking etc. too)
    I sort of gave up alcohol ages ago and if I do have the odd glass or two I really feel yuk the next day.
    Think I might give it a go - will definitely do the chewing gum thing, not going to have camel breath!!
    Have eaten v. sensibly today and cleaned the whole house from top to bottom so feeling v. pleased with myself as apparently that counts as exercise...??!!!
    Your help is v. much appreciated!

8. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Is Atkins really effective, then? I wouldn't mind giving it a try - I love bacon & egg! [​IMG]

9. dozymare1957

I found Atkins easy. I loved the food but I did miss fruit for the first three weeks. It was great when I could eat strawberries and cream in week 3. I did change my eating habits and I was much healthier.

10. anon8315

Can you have chicken with skin on it, like those ready-prepared drumsticks you can buy for picnics? I do enjoy them!

11. mrsmacbeth

mrsmacbeth New commenter

It says on the website you dont have to worry about taking the skin off the chicken (at least I think it was that website...have read quite a few of them today!!)
    Only thing bothering me is the lack of fruit 'cos I love it!

12. anon8315

I enjoy most fruit but I can live without it, I'm sure!

13. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Hi mrsmacbeth
    I have been trying to get fit and lose weight, and, figuring the hols was the best time to kick start it, started running on our first Monday off.
    Thought I weighed about 13 st 5 lb - until last week I decided to get really serious and buy some new scales; the new ones say 14 stone!!!!!
    Talk about depressed. I am actually MUCH fatter than i thought. Like you, I knew I was overweight but at 5' 7" I am officially obese [​IMG]
    On the other hand, I took the weekend off exercising/dieting and gave myself a talking to. This week, on Monday, I started Slimming World although am just doing it myself- can't face the shame off joining up for the 15th time) and plan to up the exercise. In two days I have lost 2 lbs.
    We have 3 1/2 weeks until we go back to school- which I know- as an English teacher - will see the return of massive marking loads, full page lesson plans for every lesson and utter tiredness by week two. I reckon this is enough time to develop some really good eating and exercise habits.
    I plan to swim, gym and even run despite feeling quite self concious. I am hoping that I get the habit firmly embedded and can timetable this into my working day just like marking and planning.
    Be firm. If other people want to sit gossiping for an hour after school let them; but not with you. I have found that these people often don't want a 'real ' conversation anyway. They often just want to offload, whinge or pinch something (that sounds a little harsh- a quick chat is fine - we are human!).
    I now have a marking timetable and try to stick to it wherever possible. In fact, make a really good To Do List and include 'Swimming' and 'Shopping for healthy food' on it!
    Liz (vowing to take my own advice!)
    BTW- there is a Slimming for Summer thread that some of us are using to inspire each other.

14. dozymare1957

You just need to check the carbohydrate content of the chicken drumsticks. I try to stick with very low numbers. The maximum carbs at first is 20g. Obviously if your chicken said that it had 8g of carbs per 100g you might want to think about having something else.

15. dozymare1957

I miss the fruit too but it's not long before you can have it again. You just introduce it slowly with strawberries first. I used to have a lovely fresh fruit salad and cream for breakfast every morning! Then a delicious salad with cold meat or cheese and may or bacon, tomatoes and mushrooms for lunch and then pretty much what I liked in the evening once I'd finished the actual diet. If I had bacon at lunch I usually ate salad for dinner but that's because I love salad.

16. anon8315

Dozy, you're a star ...
    So if tomorrow I started the day with bacon & scrambled egg, then had lean turkey meat and salad for lunch then some chicken for my evening meal, that would be sticking to Atkins?
    I really appreciate your help!

17. dozymare1957

Yep. The best thing is you don't have to have lean meat! You can eat the fat (I think it helps everthing to move quickly through the system [​IMG]
    Eat lots of green stuff too.
    Have a look at this link
    http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase-1/How-to-Do-Induction-Right.aspx
    or go straight to the list of foods you are allowed during "induction"
    http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase-1/What-You-Can-Eat-in-this-Phase.aspx
    Induction lasts for at least two weeks but I stuck it out for three.
    Make sure you drink loads of water. I'm happy with tap water - in fact it has become my favourite drink and I rarely drink anything else.
    Do be careful though. After a few days you may find that you just aren't hungry and will forget to eat a meal. This doesn't help at all and you are unlikely to lose weight if you do this - I've no idea why!

18. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

I started Weight Watchers this time last year and reached my target weight in February having lost around 2 and a half stone. I haven't had to stop eating any of my favourite foods. Like Bombay Sapphire I attend the meetings. When I'm stressed and busy at work going to the meetings makes me feel like I'm getting a bit of a rest and a break!!

19. mrsmacbeth

mrsmacbeth New commenter

Well done Bombaysapphire!! Thats a brilliant achievement. You must be v. pleased with that!!
    I'm sorry I didnt see your post yesterday but it wasnt there!!! Have been reading about WW too. I used to do it (years and years ago when I weighed 10stone and I wasnt happy...if only!!!!)
    The perminent / perminant (its too early in the morning to get my spelling right, sorry) change of habits is what I need as I am worried about my health being this weight. I had a health scare last year and its all kind playing on my mind now - it didnt really at the time, kind of a delayed reaction. I guess I must just be a bit slow!!
    I knew I wasnt 'thin' but I really didnt think I was this overweight. Not sure Atkins is the way for me, its the cream / butter thing I am not keen on.
    Will carry on doing a bit of research today and make a decision whilst eating a lot of salad stuff!!
    Thanks everyone for your ideas / support. xx

20. njs1999

njs1999 New commenter

Steer clear of anything that claims to have you losing weight drastically, e.g. Atkins diet, and this new fasting days diet. These are pretty unhealthy and unsuccessful ways to lose weight.

Yes, they may have you losing weight drastically initially, but they don't account for when you start eating the normal foods again. They usually result in drastic weight loss then drastic weight gain. It's extremely unnatural and unhealthy to lose so much weight in such a short space of time. They are corner cutting, short term solutions that are ultimately unhealthy.

Eat a healthy, low fat, balanced diet, combined with exercise and you'll see a nice, healthy weight loss. I'd recommend doing your own research on these diets and look at the positive and negatives. However, I remain extremely sceptical about these fad diets.