1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Well being - are all schools like this?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sarahlouxx, Mar 10, 2018.

?

What should I do?

1. Try somewhere else

34 vote(s)
    87.2%
  2. Give up teaching

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Yes. Things are changing in many, many schools. The type of approach to marking you describe is disappearing quickly.

Those that insist that things are not getting any better seem to be those who are in no position to judge, as they have already retired/been killed-off by capability or for some reason able to secure employment in better schools...

These just published:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...oad-challenge-school-research-project-reports

The not sharing planning thing is just ridiculously poor local management - nothing to do with genuine teacher workload.

2. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I and the other Y6 teacher don't share planning for maths and English, but that's through our personal choice.

It sounds like your school is an absurd place to work. They're really not all like that.

Pomza likes this.
  3. Aidan25

Aidan25 New commenter

Can I ask though: What did you do when you left teaching and how easy was it to find employment? I've been teaching for 15 years - straight from my PGCE - and I am starting to think I'm done. Behaviour is rubbish, professionally I'm going nowhere
    Genuine question: Apologies that this is slightly off the original topic. What sort of time commitments are placed on you at Private School? Do they require you in on Saturdays etc? I was massively tempted by a job at a Private School that I ended up not going for, mainly out of fear that it would reduce the time I can spend with my own children.

4. Aidan25

Aidan25 New commenter

Sorry, posted before I'd finished. Going nowhere, starting to feel like I'm bad at my job which is leading to massive self confidence issues in real life. And I want out. But I have a mortgage to pay and 3 children and so I keep sticking it out because I don't know what else is out there.

5. shazzamac

shazzamac New commenter

Find another school and check their policies out carefully.

Try an international school if you are happy to leave UK...but be careful, some have also bought into those ridiculous marking schemes, they don't keep teachers long either! Overseas schools usually have 1 to 2 non contact periods a day, can be quite flexible with marking and planning policies, and it's a great experience...I say, typing from my sunbed by a pool in Dubai!

6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Can't say much about shared planning as we are a one form entry - but phase groups do plan together. All schools are definitely not as you describe yours! As others have said, that all-encompassing style of marking is changing. Data drop three times a year. Year 6 will always be manically busy; I've never met a year 6 teacher who didn't feel that they were trying to teach four years worth of spelling and grammar, not to mention Maths, in two-and-a-bit terms! But there are schools with far more supportive systems, where you will have high quality TAs working with you, sometimes even a second teacher for some of the time, and a good SLT behind you. Start looking!

palmtree100 likes this.
  7. arianasarah866

arianasarah866 New commenter

Having worked in a similarly ridiculous school, I left and yes the grass is definitely greener. However I was also a little wiser and checked out whatever marking, feedback and assessment policies I could find before applying at jobs because it does matter so much! Sounds ridiculous but having been in that situation I have asked about marking policies or tried to sneak looks in books at walk arounds to see if they look ridiculous marking expectations.

8. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

Fully agree with luckycat - we share all planning - why not?

9. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

Why not have 2 complete years worth of units and alternate them? Then you definitely wouldn't be doing the same themes as each other? (insert missing icon which means I'm not serious) Seriously though - planning together surely brings in everybody's personal strengths and talents and ends up being better for it.

tinkerbell25 likes this.
  10. flumps103

flumps103 New commenter

My school is very similar to the one described by 'aviewfromaridge'. They are out there!

NotAPowerRanger likes this.